To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
The following models are encompassed by this manual: Dakota / Dodge Chrysler
Dodge Dakota SLT
Dodge Dakota Sport
Dodge Dakota SXT
Dodge Dakota R/T
Dodge Dakota Base
Front engine, rear-wheel drive / four-wheel drive
Production year(s): 2002
Manual Language: English
Number of pages: 2450+
Instant delivery/download: Your download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
Printable: Yes (with all printers)
"Download Manual for Pickup Truck Repairs: Uncover Technical Specifications of the 2002 Dodge Dakota"
Unlock the secrets of pickup truck repairs with the ultimate manual for the 2002 Dodge Dakota. Whether you're a seasoned mechanic or a DIY enthusiast, this comprehensive guide will provide you with the knowledge and technical specifications needed to tackle any maintenance or repair task. From engine specs to common issues and tuning tips, we've got you covered. Discover the fascinating details of this iconic pickup truck and get ready to elevate its performance to new heights!
Engine Specs/Technical Specifications:
• The 2002 Dodge Dakota offers a variety of engine options, including:
• 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine with 120 horsepower and 145 lb-ft of torque.
• 3.9-liter V6 engine with 175 horsepower and 225 lb-ft of torque.
• 4.7-liter V8 engine with 230 horsepower and 290 lb-ft of torque.
• 5.9-liter V8 engine with 245 horsepower and 335 lb-ft of torque.
• The pickup truck comes with a standard five-speed manual transmission.
• An optional four-speed automatic transmission is available for convenience.
• It features rear-wheel drive as standard, with four-wheel drive as an option.
• The towing capacity of the 2002 Dodge Dakota ranges from 3,500 to 7,200 pounds, depending on the engine and configuration.
• The truck has a maximum payload capacity of up to 1,550 pounds.
• The Dakota offers a range of bed lengths, including 6.5 feet and 8 feet, providing ample cargo space.
• It features independent front suspension and a solid rear axle for enhanced stability and off-road capability.
• The pickup truck has a turning circle diameter of approximately 36.8 feet, ensuring maneuverability in tight spaces.
• Fuel efficiency varies depending on the engine and configuration, ranging from approximately 15 to 20 miles per gallon.
• The 2002 Dodge Dakota is equipped with power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering for responsive handling.
• It features front disc brakes and rear drum brakes for reliable stopping power.
• The Dakota's fuel tank has a capacity of approximately 22 gallons.
• The pickup truck offers seating for up to six occupants with the available front bench seat.
• It has a ground clearance of approximately 8.2 inches, suitable for light off-roading.
• The 2002 Dakota has a wheelbase measuring 111.9 inches, providing stability and a smooth ride.
• It has an overall length of approximately 196 inches, making it a mid-sized pickup truck.
• The Dakota's width measures around 71.7 inches, ensuring easy maneuvering.
• The truck's height ranges from approximately 68 to 71 inches, depending on the configuration.
• The 2002 Dodge Dakota features a bed liner option for added durability and protection.
• It offers various cab configurations, including regular cab, extended cab, and crew cab.
• The pickup truck's front tires typically have a size of 215/75 R15, while the rear tires are usually 235/75 R15.
• The Dakota comes with standard rear-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS) for improved safety.
• It offers an optional limited-slip differential for enhanced traction in challenging conditions.
• The 2002 Dodge Dakota features available options such as a towing package, bed extender, and fog lights.
Facts and Details:
- The 2002 Dodge Dakota was named the Motor Trend Truck of the Year for its powerful engine options and versatility.
- It was known for its rugged and bold exterior design, embodying the spirit of a true American pickup truck.
- The Dakota was one of the first mid-sized pickups to offer a crew cab configuration, providing additional seating space.
- It featured a spacious and comfortable interior with available options like leather upholstery and power-adjustable seats.
- The 2002 Dakota had a reputation for its towing capabilities, making it a popular choice among those needing to haul heavy loads.
- Dodge introduced a special edition R/T model for performance enthusiasts, featuring a sport-tuned suspension and unique styling cues.
- The pickup truck offered an optional off-road package, including features like skid plates, all-terrain tires, and a higher ride height.
- The Dakota's robust construction and durable components made it a reliable choice for both work and recreational activities.
- It featured a versatile bed with options like tie-down cleats and a bed divider to secure cargo during transportation.
- The Dakota's interior provided ample storage compartments and practical features, such as a fold-down rear seat and overhead console.
- Dodge offered various audio system options, including an available Infinity sound system for enhanced audio quality.
- The 2002 Dakota boasted a strong community of aftermarket accessories and modifications, allowing owners to personalize their trucks to their preferences.
- Oil and filter change: Every 5,000 to 7,500 miles or every 6 months (whichever comes first).
- Spark plug replacement: Every 30,000 to 50,000 miles or every 3 to 5 years.
- Air filter replacement: Every 15,000 to 30,000 miles or as needed.
- Coolant flush and refill: Every 30,000 to 50,000 miles or every 3 to 5 years.
- Timing belt replacement: Every 90,000 to 105,000 miles or every 7 to 10 years (if equipped).
General Maintenance Tips:
- Regularly inspect and maintain proper tire pressure for optimal performance and tire longevity.
- Check and top up fluids, including engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid, as needed.
- Clean the exterior and interior of the truck regularly to prevent dirt and debris buildup.
- Follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule for servicing and inspections.
- Pay attention to any unusual noises, vibrations, or warning lights and address them promptly.
Common Issues and Solutions:
Transmission problems: Some Dakota models experienced issues with the automatic transmission. Regular maintenance, such as fluid changes, can help prevent problems. If issues occur, consult a professional for diagnosis and repair.
Rust and corrosion: The Dakota's body panels and undercarriage may be prone to rust, especially in regions with harsh winters or coastal areas. Regular washing and applying protective coatings can help prevent corrosion. For existing rust, consult a professional for proper repairs.
Faulty window regulators: Dakota models may experience issues with power window regulators failing over time. Replacing the faulty regulator with a new one is the usual solution.
Brake system issues: Some owners reported problems with brake components, such as calipers or master cylinders. Regular inspection and maintenance, including brake pad replacements, can help prevent issues. Consult a professional for diagnosis and repair if needed.
Electrical system malfunctions: Dakota models may experience electrical problems, such as issues with power windows, door locks, or dashboard lights. In such cases, it's recommended to check fuses, connections, and consult a professional for further diagnosis and repair.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
Upgrading to a cold air intake and performance exhaust system can improve engine airflow and increase horsepower and torque.
Installing aftermarket suspension components, such as upgraded shocks and springs, can enhance the truck's off-road capabilities and provide a more comfortable ride.
Adding a leveling kit or lift kit can provide increased ground clearance and allow for the use of larger tires.
Upgrading to larger wheels and tires can enhance the truck's appearance and off-road performance.
Available Accessories and Aftermarket Options:
Bed covers and tonneau covers.
Running boards and side steps.
Grille guards and bull bars.
Towing packages and hitch receivers.
Bed liners and cargo management systems.
Off-road lighting kits and auxiliary lighting options.
Floor mats and seat covers.
Performance upgrades, such as cold air intakes and exhaust systems.
Audio system upgrades, including speakers, subwoofers, and head units.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
Powerful engine options, offering good towing and hauling capabilities.
Versatile bed and cargo space.
Rugged and bold exterior design.
Relatively comfortable ride for a pickup truck.
Fuel efficiency is not as high compared to smaller vehicles.
Some owners reported issues with transmission reliability.
Interior materials and build quality could be improved.
Limited rear-seat space in extended cab configurations.
Repairs Needing Frequent Attention:
- Transmission repairs or replacements.
- Brake system repairs, including pad and rotor replacements.
- Window regulator replacements.
- Electrical system repairs for various electrical issues.
- Rust prevention and body repairs.
Start your repair journey now by purchasing the detailed Dodge workshop manual in PDF format. Simply click the green button and securely buy it through the RepairLoader marketplace using PayPal.
After completing your PayPal payment, the official Dodge OEM shop manual/parts list download link will be available on the checkout page. Furthermore, we will immediately email you all payment and download information.