The following models are covered by this manual: Boxster 987 / Dr.-Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Porsche Boxster (2005-2008)
Porsche Boxster S (2005-2008)
Production/model years: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Manual Language: English
Instant download/delivery: Your download link will appear on the checkout page after the payment.
"Download Your Sports Car Service Manual and Master the 2005-2008 Porsche Boxster 987!"
Experience the thrill of the open road with the 2005-2008 Porsche Boxster 987. This iconic sports car combines stunning design, exhilarating performance, and superb handling, making it a dream car for enthusiasts. To ensure you can maintain and optimize the performance of your Porsche Boxster, you need the comprehensive service manual. This manual contains detailed instructions, technical specifications, maintenance tips, and more, empowering you to keep your Boxster in top shape. Don't miss out on this opportunity to enhance your ownership experience - click the button below to download the detailed workshop manual and embark on a journey of mastering your Porsche sports car.
Engine Specs/Technical Specifications:
• The 2005-2008 Porsche Boxster 987 is equipped with a mid-mounted, horizontally opposed, six-cylinder engine.
• The Boxster S model features a 3.2-liter engine, while the standard Boxster model has a 2.7-liter engine.
• The six-cylinder engine utilizes Porsche's VarioCam Plus variable valve timing and lift system for optimal performance and efficiency.
• The Boxster S engine produces approximately 280 horsepower, delivering impressive acceleration and speed.
• The standard Boxster engine generates around 240 horsepower, providing a thrilling driving experience.
• Both engines feature four valves per cylinder and use Porsche's signature dry-sump lubrication system.
• The Boxster 987 comes with either a 5-speed manual transmission or an optional 5-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission.
• The Boxster S model is equipped with a standard 6-speed manual transmission or an optional 5-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission.
• The sports car employs rear-wheel drive for dynamic handling characteristics.
• The suspension system includes MacPherson struts in the front and a multi-link setup in the rear, providing excellent stability and responsiveness.
• The Boxster 987 features disc brakes with ABS (anti-lock braking system) for precise and powerful stopping performance.
• It comes with a power-operated convertible soft top, allowing for an open-air driving experience at the touch of a button.
• The Boxster 987 has a lightweight construction, utilizing aluminum body panels and a high-strength steel chassis.
• The sports car is equipped with Porsche Stability Management (PSM) for enhanced handling and safety.
• Fuel capacity is approximately 16.9 gallons, offering decent range for long-distance driving.
• The Boxster 987 has a spacious and well-designed interior, providing comfort and convenience for driver and passenger.
• It features a front and rear trunk, providing ample storage space for luggage and other belongings.
• The sports car has a sleek and aerodynamic design, reflecting Porsche's timeless and iconic styling.
Facts and Details:
- The Boxster 987 shares many design cues and components with its higher-performance sibling, the Porsche 911.
- It was the first generation of the Boxster to feature a fully electric power steering system, enhancing precision and fuel efficiency.
- The Boxster 987 received critical acclaim for its superb handling and balance, making it a favorite among driving enthusiasts.
- Porsche introduced several performance-enhancing options for the Boxster 987, including the Sport Chrono Package and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM).
- The sports car's convertible top can be operated while driving at speeds up to 30 mph, offering added convenience for spontaneous open-top driving.
- The Boxster 987 comes with a precise and communicative hydraulic power-assisted steering system, providing excellent feedback to the driver.
- It features a weight distribution close to 50:50, resulting in exceptional handling and stability.
Maintenance Intervals and Tips:
To keep your Porsche Boxster 987 in optimal condition, follow these maintenance intervals and general tips:
* Regular oil and filter changes are recommended every 7,500 miles or as specified by the manufacturer.
* Inspect and replace the air filter as needed to ensure proper airflow to the engine.
* Check and maintain proper tire pressure regularly for optimal performance and fuel efficiency.
* Maintain and service the brake system, including regular brake pad and rotor inspections and fluid changes.
* Replace the spark plugs according to the manufacturer's recommendations for optimal ignition performance.
* Inspect and lubricate the convertible top mechanism to ensure smooth operation.
* Regularly inspect the suspension components for wear and proper alignment, addressing any issues promptly.
* Keep the exterior and interior of the vehicle clean and protected to maintain its appearance.
Common Issues and Their Solutions:
While the Porsche Boxster 987 is generally reliable, a few common issues may arise:
IMS (Intermediate Shaft) Bearing Failure: Some early Boxster 987 models experienced IMS bearing failures, which could lead to engine damage. It is recommended to address this issue by replacing the bearing with an updated, more robust unit or by installing an IMS retrofit kit.
Rear Main Seal (RMS) Leak: Oil leaks from the rear main seal can occur in some Boxster 987 models. If a leak is detected, the seal should be replaced to prevent oil loss and potential engine damage.
Water Pump Failure: The water pump may experience premature failure, resulting in coolant leaks or overheating. Regular inspection and timely replacement of the water pump can help prevent this issue.
Convertible Top Mechanism Issues: The convertible top mechanism may encounter problems with operation or alignment. Regular maintenance and lubrication of the convertible top components can help prevent issues and ensure smooth operation.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
For those looking to enhance the performance or customize their Porsche Boxster 987, consider the following tuning tips or modifications:
Performance exhaust system: Upgrade to a high-performance aftermarket exhaust system for improved sound and potential power gains.
Suspension upgrades: Install performance coilover kits or adjustable shock absorbers to enhance handling and fine-tune the suspension for different driving conditions.
ECU remapping: Optimize engine performance by reprogramming the engine control unit (ECU) to extract additional power and improve throttle response.
Available Accessories and Aftermarket Options:
A variety of accessories and aftermarket options are available for the 2005-2008 Porsche Boxster 987, including:
Interior accessories: Enhance the interior with items such as custom floor mats, seat covers, and aluminum pedal sets.
Exterior styling enhancements: Add a touch of personalization with options like rear spoilers, side skirts, and upgraded wheels.
Performance upgrades: Upgrade the brakes, suspension, and exhaust system with high-quality aftermarket components to enhance the overall performance of the vehicle.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
Owners of the 2005-2008 Porsche Boxster 987 appreciate the following strengths of these sports cars:
Exhilarating performance and dynamic handling, delivering an engaging driving experience.
Sleek and timeless design, capturing the essence of the Porsche brand.
High-quality craftsmanship and materials, reflecting Porsche's attention to detail.
Versatility as a daily driver or weekend sports car, offering a balance between comfort and performance.
Weaknesses mentioned by owners include:
Limited storage space, especially in the front trunk.
Potential for expensive maintenance and repair costs, particularly for specialized Porsche service.
Some owners find the ride quality to be firm, reflecting the sports car's performance-oriented nature.
Repairs That Need to Be Carried Out Most Frequently:
The following repairs may require attention more frequently on the 2005-2008 Porsche Boxster 987:
► Regular maintenance tasks, including oil and filter changes, air filter replacement, and spark plug replacement.
► Brake system maintenance, such as pad and rotor replacement, brake fluid changes, and caliper servicing.
► Suspension component inspections and replacements, including control arms, bushings, and dampers.
► IMS bearing replacement or retrofitting to prevent potential engine damage.
► Water pump replacement in case of failure or coolant leaks.
Buy and unlock the ultimate resource for maintaining and servicing your Porsche Boxster 987 with the comprehensive workshop manual available for purchase in PDF format securely through PayPal. Click the button below to access the official Porsche OEM manual and master your Boxster's maintenance and repairs. Upon completing the payment through PayPal, you will gain access to the download link for your official Porsche OEM shop manual and parts list for the 2005-2008 Boxster 987. The download link will appear on the checkout page, and we will promptly email you the payment and download information for your convenience.
Price: 18.99 USD