To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
The following models are covered by this manual: 172 / Cessna Aircraft Company
Cessna 172E Skyhawk (Year: 1963)
Cessna 172F Skyhawk (Year: 1964)
Cessna 172G Skyhawk (Year: 1965)
Cessna 172H Skyhawk (Year: 1966)
Cessna 172I Skyhawk (Year: 1967)
Cessna 172J Skyhawk (Year: 1968)
Cessna 172K Skyhawk (Year: 1969)
Cessna 172L Skyhawk (Year: 1970)
Cessna 172M Skyhawk (Year: 1971)
Cessna 172N Skyhawk (Year: 1972)
Cessna 172P Skyhawk (Year: 1973)
Cessna 172Q Skyhawk (Year: 1974)
Standard model with basic instrumentation and avionics.
Skyhawk II model with improved interior and avionics features.
Skyhawk XP model with a more powerful engine and constant-speed propeller.
Skyhawk SP model with fuel-injected engine for improved performance.
Skyhawk Powermatic model with a unique engine and propeller system (availability may vary by region).
Production/model years: 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974
Manual Language: English, (some of our manuals are multi-language)
Delivery: Download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
"Fix Aircraft Issues with Manual Download - Get Technical Data for 1963-1974 Cessna 172!"
Are you facing technical issues with your 1963-1974 Cessna 172 aircraft? Don't worry! Our comprehensive manual download will guide you through fixing common problems and provide you with all the technical data you need. Whether you are a pilot or an aircraft enthusiast, our detailed information will help you keep your Cessna 172 flying smoothly and safely. From engine specifications to maintenance tips, we've got you covered!
Engine Specifications / Technical Data:
• Engine Model: Continental O-300-D
• Engine Type: 6-cylinder, horizontally opposed, air-cooled
• Displacement: 299 cubic inches (4.9 liters)
• Horsepower: 145 hp at 2,700 RPM
• Propeller: McCauley 1C160/DTM7557
• Fuel Capacity: 42 US gallons (159 liters)
• Oil Capacity: 8 quarts (7.6 liters)
• Maximum Takeoff Weight: 2,300 lbs (1,043 kg)
• Maximum Range: Approximately 640 nautical miles (1,185 km)
• Maximum Cruise Speed: 125 knots (231 km/h)
• Stall Speed (Full Flaps): 44 knots (81 km/h)
• Service Ceiling: 13,100 feet (3,993 meters)
• Wing Span: 36 feet (11 meters)
• Length: 27 feet (8.2 meters)
• Height: 8.9 feet (2.7 meters)
• Wing Area: 174.5 square feet (16.2 square meters)
• Seats: Four (pilot + three passengers)
• Rate of Climb: 660 feet per minute (3.35 meters per second)
• Fuel Consumption: Approximately 8.5 gallons per hour (32 liters per hour)
• Vne (Never Exceed Speed): 163 knots (302 km/h)
Facts and Details:
- The Cessna 172 is one of the most popular and enduring general aviation aircraft models ever produced.
- The 1963-1974 Cessna 172 aircraft is part of the "H" series and is often referred to as the "Skyhawk."
- Its Continental O-300-D engine is known for its reliability and straightforward maintenance.
- The Cessna 172 features a high-wing design, providing excellent visibility for the pilot and passengers.
- It is a four-seat aircraft, making it ideal for training, personal flying, and light utility missions.
- The Cessna 172 has a tricycle landing gear configuration, making it easy to taxi and land.
- Over the years, various minor updates and improvements were made to the 1963-1974 Cessna 172.
- The aircraft's slow approach and stall speeds make it a safe and forgiving platform for new pilots.
- The Cessna 172's large production numbers have contributed to the availability of spare parts and aftermarket support.
- The aircraft's performance and versatility have made it a popular choice for flight training schools and flying clubs.
Maintenance Intervals and General Maintenance Tips:
► Follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule for routine servicing.
► Regularly check engine oil, coolant, and fuel levels, topping them up as needed.
► Inspect and clean air filters frequently to ensure proper engine performance.
► Grease all fittings and control linkages according to the maintenance schedule.
► Monitor tire condition and tire pressure, replacing damaged tires promptly.
Common Issues and Solutions:
* Spark plug fouling: Regularly clean or replace spark plugs to prevent engine performance issues.
* Carburetor icing: Use carburetor heat as necessary to prevent ice buildup and maintain engine power.
* Alternator and battery issues: Check charging systems and battery health regularly for reliable electrical power.
* Fuel system leaks: Inspect fuel lines and connections for leaks and repair as needed to prevent fuel loss.
* Landing gear and brake system wear: Monitor landing gear components and brake pads for wear and replace them when necessary.
Tips for Effective Maintenance of the 1963-1974 Cessna 172 Aircraft:
■ Adhere to the recommended maintenance schedule and perform regular checks of fluid levels and filters.
■ Keep the aircraft clean and free from debris to prevent damage to sensitive components.
■ Monitor engine performance and promptly address any anomalies to avoid potential issues during flight.
■ Conduct regular visual inspections of the airframe, landing gear, and control surfaces for signs of wear or damage.
■ Follow proper storage procedures during extended periods of inactivity to protect the aircraft from the elements.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
+ Avionics upgrades: Install modern communication and navigation equipment for enhanced situational awareness.
+ Interior refurbishment: Upgrade cabin comfort with new seats, upholstery, and soundproofing materials.
+ Wingtip modifications: Install wingtip-mounted lighting or winglets for improved aerodynamics and visibility.
+ Performance enhancements: Consider engine upgrades or modifications to increase cruise speed or climb performance.
+ Paint and appearance: Apply a fresh coat of paint or customize the aircraft's exterior to give it a unique look.
Accessories and Attachments:
♦ Wheel fairings
♦ Sun visors
♦ Pitot tube covers
♦ Engine cowl plugs
♦ Windshield sun shades
♦ Aircraft covers
♦ Tail tie-down kits
♦ Aircraft cleaning and detailing products
♦ Avionics upgrades and installations
♦ ADS-B Out transponders
♦ Portable GPS units
♦ Traffic and weather receivers
♦ Intercom systems and headsets
♦ Cargo pods and baggage compartments
♦ Aircraft towbars
♦ Custom aircraft graphics and decals
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
☺ The Cessna 172 is easy to fly and forgiving, making it an excellent choice for both student pilots and experienced aviators.
☺ Its sturdy construction and reliable engine provide a sense of safety and confidence during flight.
☺ The aircraft's spacious and comfortable cabin accommodates four passengers with ease.
☺ Its high-wing design offers excellent visibility for scenic flights and sightseeing.
☺ The Cessna 172's availability of spare parts and affordability contribute to its popularity among private owners and flying clubs.
☻ The Cessna 172's performance can be affected by high-density altitude conditions, particularly in hot weather or at high altitudes.
☻ The aircraft's cruise speed may be considered modest compared to more powerful and modern aircraft.
☻ Some owners find the fuel consumption to be relatively high, especially during extended cross-country flights.
☻ The older models may lack modern avionics features found in newer aircraft.
The 1963-1974 Cessna 172 aircraft, part of the H-series Skyhawk, remains a beloved and enduring icon in the aviation world. With its reliable engine, forgiving flight characteristics, and versatility, it has become a staple in flight training schools and personal flying. Our manual download provides essential technical data and maintenance tips to help you keep your Cessna 172 in top condition, ensuring many more years of enjoyable flying experiences. Remember to adhere to recommended maintenance intervals and promptly address any issues to ensure safe and reliable flights. Happy flying!
Repairs and Frequently Broken Parts:
→ Spark plug replacements.
→ Carburetor maintenance and tuning.
→ Alternator and battery replacements.
→ Fuel system repairs and leak fixes.
→ Landing gear and brake system maintenance.
→ Control cable adjustments and replacements.
→ Engine and propeller inspections and overhauls.
→ Avionics troubleshooting and repairs.
→ Wing and control surface inspections and repairs.
→ Interior refurbishment and seat repairs.
→ Window and windshield replacements.
→ Fuel tank cleaning and repairs.
→ Flap system adjustments and repairs.
→ Elevator and rudder system inspections and maintenance.
→ Pitot tube and static port checks and cleaning.
→ Airframe inspections and corrosion control.
Click on the green button to purchase and download the detailed Cessna 172 aircraft shop manual/repair guide in PDF format on the [RL] marketplace using PayPal.
Upon payment, your download link for the OEM Cessna parts list/shop handbook will be available on the checkout page, and we will promptly email you the payment confirmation.