To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
This manual applies to the following models: 1963-Cessna P-172, F-P172, 172-D, F-172-D
1964-Cessna 172-E, F172-E
1965-Cessna 172-F, F 172-F
1966-Cessna 172-G, F 172-G
1967-Cessna 172-H, F 172-H
1968-Cessna 172 F, F 172-F
1969-Cessna 172-K, F 172-H
1970-Cessna 172-K, F 172-H
1971-Cessna 172-L, F 172-K
1972-Cessna 172-L, F 172-L
1973-Cessna 172-M, F-172-M
1974-Cessna 172-M, F-172-M
Cessna 172-D Skyhawk (1963-1964)
Cessna F-172-D Skyhawk (1963-1964)
Cessna 172-E Skyhawk (1965-1966)
Cessna F172-E Skyhawk (1965-1966)
Cessna 172-F Skyhawk (1967-1968)
Cessna F 172-F Skyhawk (1967-1968)
Cessna 172-G Skyhawk (1968-1971)
Cessna F 172-G Skyhawk (1968-1971)
Cessna 172-H Skyhawk (1971-1974)
Cessna F 172-H Skyhawk (1971-1974)
Cessna 172 F Skyhawk (1973-1974)
Cessna F 172-F Skyhawk (1973-1974)
Cessna 172-K Skyhawk (1973-1974)
Cessna F 172-H Skyhawk (1973-1974)
Cessna 172-K Skyhawk (1975-1986)
Cessna F 172-K Skyhawk (1975-1986)
Cessna 172-L Skyhawk (1968-1976)
Cessna F 172-K Skyhawk (1968-1976)
Cessna 172-L Skyhawk (1976-1986)
Cessna F 172-L Skyhawk (1976-1986)
Cessna 172-M Skyhawk (1975-1986)
Production/model years: 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974
Manual Language: English
"Download the Original Aircraft Manual and Buy the Ultimate Guide: 1963-1974 Cessna 172-D to 172-M"
Are you the proud owner or enthusiast of a 1963-1974 Cessna 172-D, F-172-D, 172-E, F172-E, 172-F, F 172-F, 172-G, F 72-G, 172-H, F 172-H, 172 F, F 172-F, 172-K, F 172-H, 172-K, F 172-H, 172-L, F 172-K, 172-L, F 172-L, or 172-M aircraft? Look no further! Owning the original Cessna aircraft manual is crucial to ensure proper operation, maintenance, and repair of your aircraft. In this ultimate guide, we offer you the opportunity to download the original OEM manual in PDF format. It provides a wealth of information, including engine specifications, maintenance tips, common issues, tuning suggestions, compatible accessories, owner reviews, and more. Read on to discover everything you need to know about the 1963-1974 Cessna 172-D to 172-M aircraft.
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• Engine: Lycoming O-320-D2J (172-D), Lycoming O-320-E2D (172-E), Lycoming O-320-H2AD (172-F), Lycoming O-320-E2G (172-G), Lycoming O-320-D2J (172-H), Lycoming O-320-H2AD (172-K), Lycoming O-320-H2AD (172-L), Lycoming O-320-H2AD (172-M).
• Engine Type: Four-cylinder, horizontally opposed, air-cooled.
• Horsepower: 150 hp (172-D, 172-E, 172-F, 172-G), 160 hp (172-H, 172-K, 172-L, 172-M).
• Fuel Capacity: 39 US gallons (147.6 liters).
• Oil Capacity: 8 US quarts (7.6 liters).
• Propeller: McCauley 1A101/DCM6948 (172-D), McCauley 1C160/DTM7557 (172-E, 172-F, 172-G), McCauley 1A170/DFM7553 (172-H, 172-K, 172-L, 172-M).
• Maximum Speed: 122 knots (140 mph, 225 km/h) at sea level.
• Cruise Speed: 108 knots (124 mph, 200 km/h) at 75% power.
• Stall Speed: 48 knots (55 mph, 89 km/h) with flaps down.
• Range: 575 nautical miles (663 miles, 1066 km) at 75% power.
• Service Ceiling: 14,500 feet (4,420 meters).
• Takeoff Distance: 1,600 feet (488 meters).
• Landing Distance: 1,320 feet (402 meters).
• Empty Weight: 1,225 pounds (556 kg).
• Maximum Gross Weight: 2,300 pounds (1,043 kg).
• Wing Span: 36 feet 1 inch (11 meters).
• Wing Area: 174 square feet (16.2 square meters).
• Length: 26 feet 11 inches (8.2 meters).
• Height: 8 feet 11 inches (2.7 meters).
• Seating Capacity: Four occupants.
• Avionics: Vary based on individual aircraft installations.
• Electrical System: 14-volt system.
Facts and Details:
- The Cessna 172 is one of the most popular and enduring general aviation aircraft models in history, known for its versatility and reliability.
- The 1963-1974 Cessna 172-D to 172-M models belong to the "Skyhawk" series, which has become synonymous with Cessna's single-engine piston - aircraft.
- The Cessna 172 features a high-wing configuration, providing excellent visibility and stable flight characteristics.
- These models are powered by Lycoming four-cylinder engines, delivering reliable performance and fuel efficiency.
- The spacious cabin of the Cessna 172 can comfortably accommodate four occupants and their baggage.
- The aircraft is equipped with a reliable and intuitive flight control system, making it suitable for both beginner and experienced pilots.
- With its excellent takeoff and landing performance, the Cessna 172 can operate from a variety of airstrips, including shorter and unimproved runways.
- The aircraft's range and endurance make it well-suited for training, cross-country flights, and recreational flying.
- The Cessna 172 is known for its forgiving flight characteristics and stable platform, making it a popular choice for flight training schools worldwide.
- These models feature a simple and robust design, allowing for ease of maintenance and availability of spare parts.
- The aircraft's rugged construction ensures durability and longevity, contributing to its excellent resale value.
- Cessna 172s have been extensively used for various applications, including flight training, personal transportation, aerial surveying, and more.
- The availability of a wide range of avionics options allows for customization and integration of advanced navigational and communication systems.
- The Cessna 172's high-wing configuration provides enhanced ground visibility, making it suitable for observation and aerial photography missions.
- These models have a proven safety record, making them a reliable choice for pilots concerned about their well-being in flight.
► Oil and Filter Change: Every 50 hours or as recommended by the manufacturer.
► Spark Plug Replacement: Every 100 hours or as needed.
► Air Filter Inspection and Cleaning: Regularly inspect and clean or replace the air filter.
► Landing Gear Inspection: Perform a thorough inspection of the landing gear system at regular intervals.
► Propeller Inspection: Inspect the propeller for damage and perform balancing as necessary.
General Maintenance Tips:
* Adhere to the recommended maintenance schedule provided in the aircraft manual.
* Conduct a thorough pre-flight inspection before each flight.
* Keep the aircraft clean and free from dirt, debris, and moisture.
* Regularly check and maintain fluid levels, including oil, fuel, and hydraulic fluids.
* Pay attention to the condition of tires and brakes, and replace as needed.
Common Issues and Solutions:
■ Carburetor Ice: Regularly check the carburetor heat system and use it as necessary to prevent carburetor ice formation.
■ Electrical System Malfunctions: Inspect wiring connections and perform regular electrical system checks to identify and address any faults.
■ Fuel System Contamination: Regularly inspect fuel lines, filters, and tanks for contamination and ensure the use of clean fuel.
■ Tire and Brake Wear: Monitor tire condition and brake pad wear, and replace as needed to ensure safe landings and ground operations.
■ Engine Performance Issues: Regularly monitor engine performance, including RPM, temperatures, and oil pressure. Address any anomalies promptly and consult an authorized service center for diagnostics and repairs.
Tips to Effectively Maintain:
+ Follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and adhere to it diligently.
+ Conduct regular inspections and perform maintenance tasks promptly to address any potential issues before they escalate.
+ Keep accurate and up-to-date maintenance records for the aircraft, including oil changes, component inspections, and repairs.
+ Establish a good relationship with a trusted and experienced aircraft maintenance technician or service center.
+ Stay informed about any service bulletins or mandatory updates issued by the manufacturer and ensure they are promptly addressed.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
♦ Avionics Upgrades: Upgrade to modern avionics systems for enhanced situational awareness and navigation capabilities.
♦ Engine Overhaul or Upgrade: Consider engine overhauls or upgrades to improve performance and fuel efficiency.
♦ Interior Refurbishment: Upgrade the interior with modern materials and amenities to enhance comfort and aesthetics.
♦ Lighting Upgrades: Install LED lighting systems for improved visibility and reduced power consumption.
♦ Noise Reduction: Implement noise reduction modifications, such as improved insulation and vibration dampening, for a quieter cabin environment.
Accessories and Attachments:
+ Wheel Fairings
+ Baggage Compartments
+ Pitot Tube Covers
+ Wingtip Navigation Lights
+ Engine Cowlings
+ Custom Seat Covers
+ Cabin Heat and Ventilation Systems
+ Instrument Panel Upgrades
+ Portable GPS Systems
+ Windshield Sun Shades
+ Wing Spar Covers
+ Exterior Covers
+ Tail Tie-Down Kits
+ Tie-Down Straps
+ Propeller Blade Covers
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
☺ Versatile and reliable aircraft with a proven track record.
☺ Excellent stability and forgiving flight characteristics.
☺ Spacious and comfortable cabin for pilot and passengers.
☺ Extensive availability of spare parts and maintenance support.
☺ Wide range of avionics options for customization.
☺ Suitable for various flying missions, including training and personal transportation.
☺ Good resale value due to popularity and demand.
☻ Limited speed and payload compared to larger aircraft.
☻ Some older models may require more frequent maintenance and inspections.
☻ Noise levels in the cabin can be higher compared to newer models.
The 1963-1974 Cessna 172-D to 172-M aircraft represent a renowned lineage of reliable and versatile aircraft. With their forgiving flight characteristics, excellent stability, and comfortable cabins, they have served a wide range of pilots and operators for decades. Following recommended maintenance intervals and general maintenance tips is essential to ensure the aircraft's optimal performance and safety. The availability of popular tuning tips and modifications allows owners to customize their aircraft to meet their specific needs. The comprehensive list of compatible accessories and attachments further enhances the versatility of these models. Owner reviews highlight the strengths of reliability, versatility, and comfort, making them a popular choice for pilots worldwide.
Repairs Carried Out Most Frequently and Parts That Often Break:
→ Carburetor Overhaul: Carburetors may require periodic overhaul due to wear or contamination.
→ Brake System Maintenance: Brake pads, rotors, and hydraulic components may require regular maintenance and replacement.
→ Landing Gear Servicing: Regular inspection and lubrication of landing gear components to prevent wear and ensure proper operation.
→ Engine Cylinder Overhaul: Cylinders may require periodic inspection and overhaul to maintain proper compression and performance.
→ Electrical System Repairs: Wiring harnesses, switches, and electrical components may require troubleshooting and repair due to wear or malfunctions.
→ Fuel System Servicing: Fuel pumps, filters, and lines may require regular maintenance to prevent fuel system-related issues.
→ Propeller Overhaul: Periodic propeller inspections and overhauls to maintain proper balance and performance.
→ Control Surface Rigging: Regular inspection and adjustment of control surface rigging to maintain proper flight control response.
→ Avionics System Repairs: Troubleshooting and repair of avionics systems and components as needed for optimal operation.
→ Interior Refurbishment: Upkeep of interior components, such as seats, carpets, and trim, for comfort and aesthetics.
→ Engine Mount Inspection: Regular inspection of engine mounts for cracks or fatigue and replacement if necessary.
→ Airframe Structural Inspections: Periodic inspections of airframe structures to identify any signs of corrosion or damage.
→ Fuel Tank Inspection: Regular inspection of fuel tanks for leaks, corrosion, or contamination.
→ Exhaust System Maintenance: Regular inspection and replacement of exhaust system components to ensure proper operation and safety.
→ Cooling System Maintenance: Inspection and maintenance of cooling system components, including radiators and hoses, to prevent overheating and engine damage.
Purchase the original Cessna aircraft manual in PDF format by clicking the button below. Upon purchase, you will gain access to the original Cessna OEM shop manual and parts list. The download link will be available on the checkout page, and we will promptly email you the payment confirmation.