To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
This manual is applicable to the following models: 340 Spitfire / John Deere Construction
1978 John Deere Spitfire 340
1979 John Deere Spitfire 340
1980 John Deere Spitfire 340
1981 John Deere Spitfire 340
1982 John Deere Spitfire 340
Engine details (Manufacturer: Kohler): K340-2FA, 339cc, 2 cylinders, 62MM x 56MM, Mikuni (AM54364)
Drive Belt: M66345
Final Drive Ratio: Low- 4.5:1 High- 1.23:1
Tank Capacity(Gals.): 5 (U.S.)
Fuel Mixture: 50:1
Production/model years: 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982
Manual Language: English
Delivery: Download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
"Resolve Snowmobile Issues with Comprehensive John Deere Service Manual"
If you own a 1978-1982 John Deere Spitfire 340 snowmobile and are facing common issues, our comprehensive John Deere service manual is here to assist you. This downloadable PDF manual provides detailed information and solutions for maintaining and troubleshooting your Spitfire 340. From engine specifications to maintenance tips, tuning advice, available accessories, and owner reviews, our service manual is your ultimate resource for keeping your John Deere snowmobile in top shape.
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• The 1978-1982 John Deere Spitfire 340 is equipped with a two-stroke, air-cooled engine.
• The engine has a displacement of 339cc, providing sufficient power for various snow conditions.
• It features a single-cylinder configuration, offering a balance of performance and efficiency.
• The Spitfire 340 engine utilizes a Mikuni VM32 carburetor for precise fuel delivery and optimal performance.
• The engine has a bore and stroke measurement of approximately 61mm x 62mm.
• It features a CDI ignition system for reliable spark and ignition timing.
• The Spitfire 340 engine has a standard compression ratio of 7.5:1, suitable for cold weather operation.
• It is equipped with a recoil start mechanism for easy starting in snowy conditions.
• The engine is mated to a drive clutch and driven clutch system for efficient power transfer.
• It features a slide rail suspension system with hydraulic shocks for improved ride comfort and handling.
• The Spitfire 340 snowmobile has a fuel capacity of approximately 5.5 gallons.
• It features a primary and secondary clutch for smooth engagement and power transmission.
• The snowmobile is equipped with a lightweight aluminum chassis for enhanced maneuverability.
Facts and Details:
- The John Deere Spitfire 340 is a classic snowmobile model appreciated for its reliability and performance.
- It offers nimble handling and quick acceleration, making it suitable for trail riding and recreational use.
- The snowmobile features a compact and lightweight design, making it easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
- It has a simple and user-friendly control layout, allowing riders of all skill levels to enjoy its capabilities.
- The Spitfire 340 offers a comfortable riding experience with its suspension system and well-designed seat.
- Owners appreciate the durable construction and overall build quality of the John Deere Spitfire 340.
- It is known for its smooth and reliable engine performance, allowing riders to enjoy hours of trouble-free riding.
- The snowmobile has excellent traction on groomed trails and performs well in various snow conditions.
- Some owners note that the Spitfire 340 can be a bit loud, especially at higher speeds.
- The snowmobile's compact size and maneuverability make it easy to transport and store.
- The Spitfire 340 is suitable for riders of different ages and skill levels, offering a fun and enjoyable snowmobiling experience.
► Oil change: Every 500-1,000 miles or as recommended by the manufacturer.
► Spark plug replacement: Every 1,000 miles or as recommended by the manufacturer.
► Belt inspection and replacement: Check the drive belt for wear and replace as necessary.
► Track alignment and tension: Regularly inspect and adjust the track alignment and tension for optimal performance.
► Carburetor cleaning and adjustment: Perform routine carburetor maintenance to ensure proper fuel delivery.
General Maintenance Tips:
* Clean the snowmobile after each ride to remove snow, ice, and debris.
* Check the track and suspension components for any signs of damage or wear.
* Lubricate all pivot points, cables, and moving parts according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
* Store the snowmobile in a dry and protected area to prevent moisture and corrosion.
Common Issues and Solutions:
■ Carburetor issues: Clean and adjust the carburetor to address fuel delivery problems.
■ Electrical system problems: Check wiring connections and inspect the ignition system for any faults or loose connections.
■ Drive belt issues: Inspect the drive belt for wear and replace if necessary to maintain optimal power transmission.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
+ Upgrading the exhaust system for improved performance and a deeper sound.
+ Installing studded tracks for enhanced traction on icy surfaces.
+ Upgrading the suspension with aftermarket shocks for improved ride comfort and handling.
+ Adding handguards and windshields for increased rider comfort and protection.
Available Accessories, Attachments, and Aftermarket Options:
♦ Windshields and wind deflectors for added protection against wind and snow.
♦ Cargo racks and storage options for increased carrying capacity.
♦ Skid plates and undercarriage guards for added protection against obstacles.
♦ Handlebar risers and grips for improved ergonomics and rider comfort.
♦ Snowmobile covers for protection during storage and transportation.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
☺ Strengths: Reliable engine, nimble handling, good traction, comfortable ride.
☻ Weaknesses: Some owners mention occasional electrical issues and limited storage space.
Repairs Needing Frequent Attention and Commonly Broken Parts:
→ Carburetor cleaning and adjustments.
→ Drive belt replacement.
→ Electrical system repairs (wiring, connectors, ignition components).
→ Suspension component maintenance and repairs.
Click the green button to instantly download the comprehensive John Deere manual. Once your payment is complete, the official John Deere OEM shop manual/parts catalog download link will be available on the checkout page. We will also email you the payment and download information immediately.