To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
The following models are covered by this manual: Sportsman 500 / Polaris Industries Inc.
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 6x6
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 6x6
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Touring
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 Touring
Production/model years: 2004, 2005
Manual Language: English
Delivery: Download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
"Unlock Your ATV's Potential: Get the Polaris Sportsman 500 Issues Resolved with our Exclusive Parts Catalog and Shop Manual!"
Navigating the rugged terrains becomes a breeze with the formidable 2004-2005 Polaris Sportsman 500. Renowned for its robust construction and high performance, this model offers ATV enthusiasts unparalleled experience and functionality. Whether you’re facing unexpected breakdowns or just aiming for optimum functioning, our detailed shop manual and extensive parts catalog are essential resources. They are meticulously crafted to aid users in addressing a multitude of issues, providing insightful knowledge on every component and facilitating efficient maintenance and troubleshooting.
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• The 2004-2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 features a single-cylinder four-stroke engine.
• It possesses a displacement of 499cc.
• The engine’s bore and stroke measure 92mm x 75mm.
• It utilizes a liquid cooling system to maintain optimal operating temperatures.
• The Sportsman 500 has a carbureted fuel system.
• It operates with an automatic PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission) transmission.
• The model is equipped with a shaft drive system.
• The engine’s compression ratio is 10.2:1.
• It boasts a robust electrical system with a 12-volt, 18-amp hour battery.
• It employs a single-lever hydraulic disc braking system at the front and rear.
• The model has MacPherson strut front suspension with 8.2 inches of travel.
• It utilizes a fully independent rear suspension with 9.5 inches of travel.
• The Sportsman 500 has a turning radius of 10.5 feet.
• It features an 11.25-gallon fuel capacity.
• It has a dry weight of 697 lbs.
• The towing capacity of this model is impressive at 1225 lbs.
• The Sportsman 500 has a wheelbase measuring 50.75 inches.
• The vehicle dimensions are 81 x 47.5 x 47 inches (LxWxH).
• The ground clearance of this model is 7.25 inches.
• It is equipped with a Dual A-arm rear suspension.
• The model has a 1.3-gallon oil capacity.
• It operates on an electronic ignition system.
• The model is designed with a Lock & Ride cargo system.
• The Sportsman 500 can haul up to 120 lbs in the front rack and 240 lbs in the rear rack.
• It incorporates an integrated fuel gauge and gear indicator lights.
• It comes with a standard 2” hitch receiver.
• The vehicle features a four-wheel hydraulic braking system.
• The Sportsman 500 has sealed, maintenance-free, multiple wet clutch plates.
• It employs the On-Demand True AWD/2WD driveline.
• The vehicle is outfitted with a durable steel frame.
• It features halogen headlights and taillights for enhanced visibility.
• The model incorporates a comfortable, ergonomic seat design.
• The vehicle comes with a fully digital instrumentation panel.
• The Sportsman 500 is available with Electronic Power Steering (EPS) as an optional feature.
• It includes durable, 25 x 8-12; 25 x 11-10 tires.
Facts and Details:
- Performance: The 2004-2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 is renowned for its remarkable power, agility, and reliability, offering a superior off-road experience.
- Versatility: Its robust construction and impressive towing capacity make it highly versatile, suitable for various terrains and tasks.
- Fuel Efficiency: Despite its power, it maintains commendable fuel efficiency, ensuring prolonged rides without frequent refueling.
- User-Friendly: The model comes with user-friendly features, including an intuitive digital instrumentation panel and ergonomic seating.
- Maintenance-Friendly: The Sportsman 500 is designed to facilitate easy maintenance, allowing users to address issues promptly.
- Transmission: The automatic PVT transmission ensures seamless power delivery and enhances overall riding experience.
- Cooling System: The liquid cooling system is highly efficient, maintaining the engine at optimal temperatures during extensive use.
- Suspension: The independent rear suspension and MacPherson strut front suspension provide outstanding handling and ride comfort.
- Braking: The hydraulic disc braking system at both front and rear offers reliable and responsive braking.
- Cargo System: The Lock & Ride cargo system allows users to securely haul loads, enhancing the utility of the ATV.
- Driveline: The On-Demand True AWD/2WD driveline provides superior traction and control.
- Visibility: The halogen headlights and taillights enhance visibility, ensuring safer rides in low-light conditions.
- Frame: The durable steel frame of the Sportsman 500 ensures longevity and robustness.
- Storage: The model offers substantial storage capacity with its front and rear racks.
- EPS Option: The availability of Electronic Power Steering as an optional feature provides enhanced steering control and comfort.
► Oil and Filter Change: Every 100 hours or 1,000 miles, whichever comes first.
► Air Filter Cleaning: Every 50 hours.
► Spark Plug Replacement: Every 100 hours or annually.
► Brake Fluid Check: Every 50 hours.
► Coolant Replacement: Every two years or 1,000 miles.
General Maintenance Tips:
* Regular Inspection: Regularly inspect the vehicle for any signs of wear or damage and address issues promptly.
* Cleaning: Keep the ATV clean and free from mud and debris to prevent corrosion and ensure optimal performance.
* Fluid Levels: Regularly check and maintain the appropriate levels of oil, coolant, and brake fluid.
* Battery Maintenance: Regularly check the battery and ensure it is fully charged, especially before long rides.
* Tire Pressure: Maintain the recommended tire pressure for better handling and to prevent tire damage.
Common Issues and Solutions:
■ Overheating: Ensure the cooling system is functioning properly, and the coolant is at the appropriate level.
■ Starting Issues: Regularly check the battery, spark plugs, and fuel system and replace any faulty components.
■ Brake Problems: Regularly inspect the brake pads, discs, and fluid levels and replace any worn-out parts.
■ Transmission Slipping: Maintain the correct level of transmission fluid and replace it as per the recommended schedule.
■ Worn-out Tires: Regularly inspect the tires for any signs of wear and replace them if necessary.
Maintenance Tips to Keep in Excellent Condition:
+ Adhere to Maintenance Schedule: Strictly follow the recommended maintenance schedule to address potential issues promptly and ensure longevity.
+ Use Quality Lubricants and Fluids: Always use high-quality oils, lubricants, and fluids specified by Polaris to maintain optimum performance.
+ Inspect Belt Condition: Regularly inspect the condition of the drive belts and replace them if signs of wear are apparent.
+ Protect from Elements: When not in use, store the ATV in a dry and covered area to protect it from weather elements and avoid corrosion.
+ Address Issues Immediately: Do not ignore minor issues; address them immediately to prevent them from escalating into major problems.
Tuning Tips or Modifications:
♦ Performance Exhaust System: Installing a performance exhaust system can improve the power output and overall performance.
♦ High-Flow Air Filter: A high-flow air filter can enhance air intake, thereby improving engine efficiency and power.
♦ ECU Tuning: Tuning the ECU can optimize the engine performance and fuel efficiency.
♦ Suspension Upgrades: Upgrading the suspension can enhance the ride quality and handling on rough terrains.
♦ Tire Upgrades: Installing high-quality and suitable tires can improve traction, handling, and overall riding experience.
Accessories and Attachments:
✔ Winch Kit: Useful for towing and recovering the ATV.
✔ Front and Rear Bumpers: Offers additional protection to the ATV.
✔ Cargo Box: Provides additional storage space.
✔ Skid Plates: Protects the undercarriage from damage during off-roading.
✔ Handguards: Provides protection to the hands while riding.
✔ LED Light Bars: Enhances visibility during night rides.
✔ Windshield: Protects the rider from wind and debris.
✔ Rearview Mirror: Offers better rear visibility.
✔ Heated Grips and Thumb Warmer: Provides added comfort in cold conditions.
✔ Snow Plow Kit: Useful for clearing snow.
✔ Gun Boot Mount: Secures firearms safely.
✔ Seat Cover: Offers added comfort and protection to the seat.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
☺ Owners of the 2004-2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 praise the model for its rugged construction, reliable performance, and versatility. They appreciate its substantial towing capacity, making it suitable for various tasks and terrains. The user-friendly features, including the intuitive digital instrumentation panel and ergonomic seating, also receive positive remarks.
However, some users have reported issues related to overheating and starting, emphasizing the importance of regular maintenance and timely addressing of any problems. The substantial storage capacity with its front and rear racks is also highlighted, allowing users to carry essentials with ease. Some owners wish for improved fuel efficiency and a more refined transmission but overall express satisfaction with the model’s robustness and functionality.
The 2004-2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 stands out as a formidable ATV, offering a blend of power, reliability, and versatility. Its robust construction, impressive towing capacity, and substantial storage make it a preferred choice for ATV enthusiasts. The model's user-friendly features, such as the ergonomic seating and digital instrumentation panel, contribute to an enhanced riding experience. However, regular maintenance is crucial to address common issues like overheating and starting problems and ensure longevity and optimal performance. The availability of a plethora of accessories and attachments adds to the model’s utility, allowing users to customize the ATV as per their needs.
Frequently Carried Out Repairs:
→ Oil and Filter Changes
→ Air Filter Cleaning/Replacement
→ Spark Plug Replacement
→ Brake Pad Replacement
→ Coolant Replacement
→ Transmission Fluid Replacement
→ Battery Replacement
→ Tire Replacement
→ Belt Replacement
→ Brake Fluid Replacement
→ Suspension Component Replacement
→ Light Bulb Replacement
→ Fuel Filter Replacement
→ Wheel Bearing Replacement
→ Drive Shaft U-Joint Replacement
Secure your purchase now to obtain the Polaris Industries manual in PDF format!
After finalizing your payment, the checkout page will display your download link for the original Polaris Industries shop manual/parts catalog, and we will immediately send you a payment confirmation email.