To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
The following models are included in this manual: CB 900 F, CB 900, Hornet / Honda Motor Company
1980 Honda CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900
1981 Honda CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900
1982 Honda CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900
Engine: 901.0 cc (54.98 cubic inches), In-line four, four-stroke, 95.0 HP (69.3 kW) @ 9000 RPM, 213.0 km/h (132.4 mph), 8.8:1, 64.5 x 69.0 mm (2.5 x 2.7 inches), 4 valves per cylinder, Double Overhead Cams/Twin Cam (DOHC), air cooled.
Production year(s): 1980, 1981, 1982
Manual Language: English, German, French, Spanish, Multi Language
"Touring Motorcycle Repair Made Easy: Overhaul Your Honda CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 with the Ultimate PDF Guide!"
Are you an owner of a 1980-1982 Honda CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 touring motorcycle in need of repair? Look no further! This comprehensive guide will provide you with all the technical specifications, maintenance tips, common issues and solutions, tuning options, accessories, and much more. Get ready to restore your touring motorcycle to its peak performance and embark on unforgettable journeys with our expert advice.
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• The Honda CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 is powered by a four-stroke, air-cooled inline-four engine.
• It has a displacement of 901cc, providing ample power for touring and long-distance rides.
• The engine features a DOHC (Dual Overhead Camshaft) configuration for precise valve control.
• It utilizes a 16-valve design, with four valves per cylinder, for efficient airflow.
• The CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 has a bore and stroke measurement of 64.5mm x 69mm.
• The engine has a compression ratio of 8.8:1, ensuring optimal combustion.
• It features a transistorized ignition system for reliable spark delivery.
• The motorcycle is equipped with a five-speed transmission for smooth gear shifts.
• The CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 has a wet multi-plate clutch for efficient power transfer.
• It utilizes a chain final drive system for optimal power transmission to the rear wheel.
• The motorcycle features a constant-velocity (CV) carburetor for efficient fuel delivery.
• It has a fuel tank capacity of approximately 5.8 gallons (22 liters), suitable for long-distance riding.
• The CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 features a telescopic front fork suspension system.
• It comes with dual rear shocks with adjustable preload for enhanced comfort and handling.
• The motorcycle has a front disc brake and a rear drum brake for reliable stopping power.
• It features a steel frame for stability and durability during touring.
• The CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 weighs around 557 pounds (253 kg) dry, providing stability on the road.
• It features a comfortable seat and ergonomic riding position, ideal for long hours in the saddle.
• The motorcycle comes with a classic round headlight and a streamlined design for a timeless appearance.
• It has a large windshield option for improved wind protection during touring.
Facts and Details:
- The Honda CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 is known for its reliable performance and comfortable touring capabilities.
- It offers a smooth and powerful ride, making it a popular choice among touring enthusiasts.
- The motorcycle features a spacious and comfortable seating position for both the rider and passenger.
- It has ample storage options, including hard saddlebags and a rear trunk, to carry luggage during long trips.
- The CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 offers excellent stability and handling, even when fully loaded.
- It comes with a large fuel tank, providing an extended range for long-distance rides without frequent refueling.
- The motorcycle features a well-balanced weight distribution, contributing to its agility on various road conditions.
- It comes with a reliable electrical system, ensuring consistent lighting and reliable starting.
- The CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 offers a smooth and responsive throttle control for comfortable cruising.
- It is equipped with a comfortable suspension setup, providing a plush and controlled ride.
- The motorcycle has a classic and timeless design that appeals to both vintage and modern motorcycle enthusiasts.
- It has a reputation for durability and longevity, with many models still on the road today.
Maintenance Intervals, General Maintenance Tips, and Common Issues/Solutions:
► Regular maintenance intervals should include oil changes every 3,000-4,000 miles or as recommended in the owner's manual.
► Clean and lubricate the chain regularly to ensure smooth operation and prevent premature wear.
► Check and adjust the valve clearance as recommended by Honda (typically every 12,000 miles or 19,000 km).
► Inspect and clean the air filter regularly to maintain optimal engine performance.
► Keep the spark plugs clean and replace them as needed to ensure proper combustion.
► Common issues may include electrical problems, such as faulty wiring connections or a weak battery. Check all electrical connections and ensure the battery is fully charged.
► Carburetor tuning and synchronization may be necessary if experiencing fueling issues or poor idle quality.
► Fork seals may develop leaks over time. Replace the seals if oil leakage is observed.
► Overheating can be a problem in hot weather or during extended idling. Ensure the cooling system is clean and the radiator is free from debris.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
* Install a high-performance exhaust system for improved power delivery and a deeper exhaust note.
* Upgrade the suspension components with aftermarket shocks and forks for enhanced comfort and handling.
* Replace the stock air filter with a high-flow aftermarket filter for increased airflow to the engine.
* Install a larger fuel tank for extended range during touring.
* Upgrade the lighting system with brighter bulbs or LED lights for improved visibility.
* Add a touring windscreen for better wind protection on long rides.
* Install heated grips for added comfort during colder riding conditions.
Available Accessories, Attachments, and Aftermarket Options:
■ Hard saddlebags and rear trunks for additional storage capacity.
■ Touring windshields of various sizes for improved wind protection.
■ Comfort seats with additional padding and ergonomic designs.
■ High-quality luggage systems for secure and convenient storage.
■ Auxiliary lighting kits for enhanced visibility and aesthetics.
■ Upgraded suspension components for improved comfort and handling.
■ Performance exhaust systems from reputable manufacturers.
■ Handlebar risers for improved rider comfort and posture.
■ Smartphone mounts and USB charging ports for convenient connectivity.
■ Aftermarket footpegs and floorboards for enhanced rider comfort during long rides.
Owner Reviews and Opinions (Strengths and Weaknesses):
☺ Strengths: Owners appreciate the Honda CB900F, CB900, Hornet 900 for its powerful engine, comfortable touring capabilities, and reliability. The motorcycle is praised for its smooth ride, stability, and ample storage options. It is often regarded as a dependable and enjoyable touring companion.
☻ Weaknesses: Some owners have mentioned that the stock suspension may feel slightly soft for aggressive cornering. The motorcycle's weight can be a factor during slow-speed maneuvering.
Repairs frequently needed:
→ Regular maintenance tasks such as oil changes, chain adjustments, and valve clearance checks.
→ Spark plug replacements and ignition system maintenance.
→ Brake pad replacements and brake fluid flushes.
→ Cooling system maintenance, including radiator flush and coolant replacement.
→ Fork seal replacements for potential oil leaks.
→ Electrical system troubleshooting and repairs.
→ Carburetor cleaning, tuning, and synchronization.
→ Steering bearing maintenance and adjustments.
→ Wheel bearing replacements.
→ Clutch cable and clutch plate replacements.
Access the comprehensive Honda service manual by clicking the 'Download' button for all your touring motorcycle repair needs. Upon completing your payment, the checkout page will provide you with a download link for the official Honda OEM shop manual/parts catalog. Additionally, we will immediately email you the payment and download information.