To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
This manual is applicable to the following models: 316 318 420 Onan / John Deere Construction / JD / John Deere / Deere & Company
John Deere 316 (Years: 1984-1992)
John Deere 318 (Years: 1983-1992)
John Deere 420 (Years: 1983-1992)
Engine: 16 hp, 18 hp, 20 hp, 22 hp
Publication Number: CMT2
Manual Language: English
Delivery: Download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
"Expert Service and Shop Repair for John Deere Tractor Engines - Download Free PDF Manual Now!"
Welcome to our trusted service and shop repair center specializing in John Deere tractor engines. We understand the importance of maintaining and optimizing the performance of your agricultural equipment. That's why we are delighted to offer you a free downloadable PDF manual that provides comprehensive guidance for the John Deere 316, 318, 420 Onan tractor engines. Explore the engine specifications, technical data, maintenance intervals, common issues, tuning tips, available accessories, owner reviews, and much more. Let us empower you to keep your John Deere tractor engine running smoothly and maximize your productivity in the field!
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• The John Deere 316, 318, 420 Onan tractor engines are powered by a reliable and robust Onan engine.
• These engines feature a displacement of approximately 18.6 cubic inches or 0.305 liters.
• The engine operates on a four-stroke combustion cycle, delivering power efficiently and smoothly.
• It utilizes a twin-cylinder design, providing balanced power output and reduced vibrations.
• The Onan tractor engines incorporate a pressurized lubrication system, ensuring optimal lubrication and protection of engine components.
• These engines utilize an air-cooling system, eliminating the need for a liquid coolant and simplifying maintenance.
• The Onan tractor engines have a rated horsepower output of approximately 18 horsepower, offering ample power for a range of agricultural tasks.
• They feature a recoil or electric starter, providing easy and convenient engine starting.
• The engines incorporate a mechanical governor, maintaining a consistent engine speed under varying load conditions.
• The Onan tractor engines are designed with a 12-volt electrical system, supporting reliable operation of electrical components and accessories.
• They feature an oil capacity of approximately 2 quarts, and regular oil and filter changes are necessary for proper engine maintenance.
• The engines utilize a dry-type air cleaner, which should be regularly inspected and cleaned or replaced as needed.
• They are equipped with an alternator that generates electrical power to charge the battery and operate electrical systems.
• The Onan tractor engines are designed to run on gasoline, and fuel filters should be regularly inspected and replaced to ensure proper fuel flow.
• They feature a dual-element fuel filter system, providing efficient filtration and protecting the engine from contaminants.
Facts and Details:
- The John Deere 316, 318, 420 Onan tractor engines are known for their reliability, durability, and longevity.
- These engines offer smooth operation, low vibration levels, and reduced noise for a comfortable working environment.
- They are designed for use in various John Deere tractor models, providing consistent power for a range of agricultural tasks.
- The Onan tractor engines feature a compact design, allowing for easy installation and integration with John Deere tractors.
- Owners appreciate the fuel efficiency of these engines, which helps reduce operating costs and increase productivity.
- The engines offer excellent torque characteristics, providing ample power for heavy-duty tasks such as plowing or hauling.
- John Deere tractor engines are supported by a widespread dealer network, ensuring access to parts, service, and support.
- These engines are designed for ease of maintenance, with accessible service points and straightforward servicing procedures.
Maintenance Intervals, General Maintenance Tips, and Common Issues/Solutions:
► Regular maintenance intervals for the John Deere 316, 318, 420 Onan tractor engines include oil and filter changes every 50-100 hours, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
► The engines' air filters should be checked and cleaned or replaced regularly to prevent debris from entering the engine.
► Spark plugs should be inspected and replaced as necessary for proper ignition performance.
► The fuel system, including fuel filters and lines, should be regularly inspected for any signs of leaks or blockages.
► Regularly inspecting and tightening engine mounting bolts can help prevent excessive vibrations and potential damage.
► The engines' cooling system should be checked for proper coolant levels and any signs of leaks or corrosion.
► Common issues with the John Deere 316, 318, 420 Onan tractor engines may include carburetor problems, ignition system issues, and electrical system malfunctions. Prompt diagnosis and repairs by a qualified technician are recommended.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
* Upgrading the exhaust system for improved sound and potentially increased horsepower.
* Installing a performance air filter or air intake system to enhance airflow and potentially improve engine performance.
* Fine-tuning the carburetor or fuel injection system for optimal fuel-air mixture and performance.
Available Accessories, Attachments, and Aftermarket Options:
■ Replacement air filters and oil filters.
■ Spark plugs and ignition components.
■ Carburetor rebuild kits or replacement carburetors.
■ Engine gasket and seal kits for engine rebuilds or repairs.
■ Performance exhaust systems.
■ High-flow air filters or aftermarket air intake systems.
■ Upgraded ignition systems for improved spark and ignition performance.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
☺ Strengths: Owners appreciate the reliability and longevity of the John Deere 316, 318, 420 Onan tractor engines. They often praise the engines' smooth operation, fuel efficiency, and compatibility with various John Deere tractor models.
☻ Weaknesses: Some owners mention occasional issues with carburetion, such as clogged jets or erratic idling. Additionally, electrical system malfunctions can occur with aging components.
Repairs that Need to be Carried Out Most Frequently:
→ Regular oil and filter changes.
→ Air filter replacement.
→ Spark plug replacement.
→ Carburetor cleaning or rebuilding.
→ Ignition system maintenance and repairs.
→ Fuel filter replacement.
Parts that Often Break:
→ Carburetor components.
→ Ignition coils.
→ Spark plugs.
→ Fuel filters.
→ Starter motors.
Click the green button to access and download the comprehensive shop handbook. After completing your payment, the checkout page will display the download link for the official John Deere OEM shop manual/parts list. Additionally, we will promptly email you the payment and download information for your convenience.