To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
This manual applies to the following models: GL1500 Goldwing / Honda Motor Co. Ltd
1989 Honda GL1500 Goldwing (Standard Model)
1989 Honda GL1500SE Goldwing (Special Edition)
The GL1500SE Goldwing is a special edition variant of the 1989 Goldwing.
It typically includes additional features and cosmetic enhancements compared to the standard model.
Engine: 1520 cc, 92.75 ci, liquid cooled, six cylinder boxer, four-stroke, 100.0 HP (73.0 kW) @ 5200 RPM, 184.0 km/h (114.3 mph), 71.0 x 64.0 mm (2.8 x 2.5 inches), Overhead Cams (OHC)
Production/model years: 1989
Manual Language: English
Printable: Yes, all printers
Instant delivery: Download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
"Troubleshoot Your Touring Motorcycle with the 1989 Honda GL1500 Goldwing Manual PDF"
If you own a touring motorcycle like the 1989 Honda GL1500 Goldwing and find yourself facing technical issues, the manual PDF is your ultimate troubleshooting companion. This comprehensive guide provides detailed engine specifications, maintenance intervals, common problems, and their solutions, as well as tips for tuning and modifications. In addition, you'll discover a wide range of accessories and aftermarket options to enhance your riding experience. Read on to explore the technical data, maintenance tips, owner reviews, and more for the 1989 Honda GL1500 Goldwing.
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• The 1989 Honda GL1500 Goldwing is equipped with a horizontally opposed, liquid-cooled 1520cc six-cylinder engine.
• It features a 5-speed transmission with overdrive and shaft final drive.
• The engine has a compression ratio of 9.8:1.
• The GL1500 Goldwing comes with an electric starter and a transistorized ignition system.
• It has a fuel capacity of 6.3 gallons (24 liters).
• The motorcycle has a dry weight of approximately 770 pounds (349 kg).
• The front suspension consists of a leading-axle, cartridge-type fork with anti-dive system and 5.5 inches (140mm) of travel.
• Rear suspension includes Pro-Arm single-sided swingarm with Pro-Link single shock, adjustable preload, and 4.1 inches (105mm) of travel.
• The front and rear brakes are both dual hydraulic discs.
• Wheelbase measures 66.7 inches (1695mm), providing stability on long rides.
• The GL1500 Goldwing features a tire size of 130/70R18 for the front and 160/80R16 for the rear.
• It has a seat height of 29.1 inches (740mm), ensuring a comfortable riding position.
• The motorcycle is equipped with a 12-volt electrical system.
• The GL1500 Goldwing has a maximum power output of 100 horsepower (74.6 kW) at 5200 RPM.
• It produces a torque of 110 lb-ft (149 Nm) at 4000 RPM.
• The motorcycle has a top speed of approximately 120 mph (193 km/h).
• It features an alternator capacity of 700 watts.
• The GL1500 Goldwing has a 5.3-inch (135mm) ground clearance.
• The fuel system includes four 32mm Keihin constant-velocity carburetors.
• The motorcycle is equipped with a 5-gallon (19-liter) reserve fuel capacity.
Facts and Details:
- The GL1500 Goldwing was introduced in 1988 as a successor to the GL1200.
- It was Honda's fourth-generation Goldwing model.
- The motorcycle was renowned for its luxurious touring features, including a full fairing, stereo system, and integrated luggage.
- The GL1500 Goldwing featured a reverse gear, making it easier to maneuver in tight spaces.
- It was the first Goldwing model to incorporate a liquid-cooled engine, providing improved performance and reliability.
- The motorcycle featured a full-length exhaust system, contributing to its distinctive sound.
- The GL1500 Goldwing had a comfortable two-up seating arrangement, making it suitable for long-distance riding with a passenger.
- It was equipped with an air-assisted adjustable suspension, allowing riders to customize the ride quality.
- The motorcycle featured a large windshield and ample wind protection for enhanced rider comfort.
- The GL1500 Goldwing introduced electronic fuel injection (EFI) in some later models, improving fuel efficiency and throttle response.
- It came with a spacious storage capacity of 6.8 cubic feet (192 liters), allowing riders to carry essential belongings on their journeys.
- The GL1500 Goldwing received several updates and improvements throughout its production run, including revised suspension settings and enhanced braking performance.
- The motorcycle was praised for its smooth and powerful engine, comfortable ergonomics, and excellent long-distance touring capabilities.
Maintenance Intervals, General Tips, and Common Issues for the 1989 Honda GL1500 Goldwing:
► Regular maintenance intervals for the GL1500 Goldwing include oil changes every 3,000 miles, coolant changes every 2 years, and valve adjustments every 24,000 miles.
► It is important to keep the air filter clean and replace it according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
► Lubricate the throttle cables, clutch cable, and control pivots regularly to ensure smooth operation.
► Check the tire pressure regularly and maintain it within the recommended range.
► One common issue with the GL1500 Goldwing is a faulty ignition control module. Symptoms include intermittent stalling or difficulty starting the motorcycle. Replacing the module usually resolves this issue.
► Another common problem is a worn or sticking carburetor float needle valve, leading to fuel leakage or flooding. Cleaning or replacing the float valve can solve this issue.
► Ensure the cooling system is functioning properly by regularly inspecting hoses, clamps, and coolant levels. Overheating can lead to engine damage.
► Pay attention to the brake system, including brake pads and fluid levels. Worn brake pads should be replaced promptly to maintain optimal braking performance.
► It is recommended to clean and lubricate the drive shaft splines periodically to prevent excessive wear and noise.
► Check the final drive oil level and replace it at the recommended intervals.
► Keep the electrical connections clean and secure to prevent electrical issues. A weak or failing battery can cause starting problems.
► Regularly inspect the suspension components for wear or damage, and replace any worn-out parts to ensure a smooth and safe ride.
► Follow the manufacturer's guidelines for winter storage to prevent fuel system problems and ensure the motorcycle is ready for the next riding season.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications for the 1989 Honda GL1500 Goldwing:
* Upgrading the stock exhaust system to a performance aftermarket exhaust can improve both the sound and performance of the motorcycle.
* Installing a high-flow air filter and rejetting the carburetors can optimize air intake and fuel mixture, enhancing throttle response and power delivery.
* Adding aftermarket LED lighting kits can improve visibility and enhance the motorcycle's appearance.
* Installing a custom windscreen or wind deflectors can improve wind protection and reduce turbulence.
* Upgrading the stereo system with modern audio equipment can enhance the entertainment experience on long rides.
* Adding a passenger backrest or a luggage rack can increase comfort and luggage-carrying capacity.
* Upgrading the suspension with aftermarket shocks or springs can provide a smoother ride and improved handling.
* Installing highway pegs or floorboards can provide additional comfort and legroom for long-distance riding.
Available Accessories, Attachments, and Aftermarket Options for the 1989 Honda GL1500 Goldwing:
■ Top trunk and saddlebag liners for organized and secure storage.
■ Windshield accessories such as spoilers and vented windshields.
■ GPS navigation systems and mounts for easy navigation on long trips.
■ Comfortable aftermarket seats and seat covers.
■ Chrome accents and trim pieces for a personalized look.
■ Heated grips and seats for cold-weather riding comfort.
■ Luggage racks and luggage organizers for additional storage options.
■ Trailer hitches and wiring harnesses for towing trailers or adding a hitch-mounted carrier.
■ Cruise control kits for added convenience during long highway rides.
■ Bluetooth communication systems for rider-to-passenger or bike-to-bike communication.
■ Custom paint options and graphics kits for a unique appearance.
■ Aftermarket exhaust systems for improved performance and sound.
■ Upgraded suspension components, such as shocks and springs, for enhanced ride quality and handling.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
☺ Powerful and smooth engine performance.
☺ Comfortable seating for both rider and passenger.
☺ Excellent long-distance touring capabilities.
☺ Ample storage space for luggage.
☺ Reliability and durability.
☺ Advanced features for its time, such as reverse gear and integrated stereo system.
☻ Heavy weight, making it less maneuverable at low speeds.
☻ Limited fuel efficiency compared to smaller motorcycles.
☻ Some owners found the stock suspension settings too soft, requiring aftermarket upgrades for better handling.
☻ Expensive maintenance and repairs due to the complexity of the motorcycle.
Frequent Repairs and Commonly Replaced Parts for the 1989 Honda GL1500 Goldwing:
→ Ignition control module replacement.
→ Carburetor float valve cleaning or replacement.
→ Brake pad replacement.
→ Drive shaft spline lubrication.
→ Final drive oil replacement.
→ Battery replacement.
→ Suspension component replacement or upgrades.
→ Fuel pump replacement.
→ Starter motor replacement.
→ Clutch cable replacement.
→ Coolant hose replacement.
Access the Honda shop repair manual by clicking the button below for a convenient and immediate download. Instantly download the comprehensive Honda shop repair manual by clicking the green button.
Upon completing your payment, the checkout page will display the download link for the official Honda OEM shop manual/parts list. Additionally, we will promptly email you the payment and download information.