To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
This manual is applicable to the following models: 770, 780, 880, 990, 1200, 3800, 4600, Selectamatic Series / David Brown, built in Meltham Mills, Huddersfield, England.
David Brown 770 (Years: 1965-1971)
David Brown 780 (Years: 1967-1971)
David Brown 880 (Years: 1958-1967)
David Brown 990 (Years: 1961-1971)
David Brown 1200 (Years: 1965-1971)
David Brown 3800 (Years: 1970-1980)
David Brown 4600 (Years: 1970-1980)
Engine 770 specs: AD3/49, diesel, 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, 146.1 ci, 2.4 L, 3.94x4.00 inches, 100 mm x 102 mm, 36 hp, 26.8 kW, direct injection, 17:1, 100 lb-ft, 135.6 Nm.
Engine 780 specs: diesel, 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, 164.4 ci, 2.7 L, 3.9375x4.50 inches, 100 x 114 mm, 46 hp, 34.3 kW, 17:1.
Engine 880 specs: see above.
Engine 990 specs: diesel, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled, 185.8 ci, 3.0 L, 3.625x4.50 inches, 92 x 114 mm, 52 hp, 38.8 kW, 17:1.
Engine 1200 specs: diesel, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled, 219.4 ci, 3.6 L, 3.94x4.50 inches, 100 x 114 mm, 72 hp, 53.7 kW, Operating RPM 700-2300.
Engine 3800 specs: gasoline, 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, 146.1 ci, 2.4 L, 3.939x4.000 inches, 100 x 102 mm, 6.75:1, 115 lb-ft, 155.9 Nm.
Engine 4600 specs: gasoline, 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, 164.4 ci, 2.7 L, 3.939x4.500 inches, 100 mm x 114 mm, 7.5:1, 140 lb-ft, 189.8 Nm.
Production year(s): 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971.
Manual Language: English
Delivery: Download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
"Original David Brown Tractors Parts Catalog and Manual - Download Now for Comprehensive Engine Specifications and Maintenance Tips!"
If you're a proud owner of a David Brown tractor or a passionate tractor enthusiast, you're in for a treat! We are thrilled to present you with the ultimate resource for your beloved David Brown tractors - an original and comprehensive parts catalog and manual! With this downloadable guide, you'll gain access to a treasure trove of engine specifications, technical data, maintenance tips, and much more for the David Brown 770, 780, 880, 990, 1200, 3800, and 4600 models. Whether you're looking to optimize performance, tackle common issues, or explore exciting tuning options, this guide is your go-to companion. Read on to discover everything you need to know to keep your David Brown tractor in excellent condition!
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• David Brown 770: 3-cylinder diesel engine, 48 horsepower, displacement of 2197cc.
• David Brown 780: 4-cylinder diesel engine, 58 horsepower, displacement of 2461cc.
• David Brown 880: 4-cylinder diesel engine, 48 horsepower, displacement of 2562cc.
• David Brown 990: 4-cylinder diesel engine, 62 horsepower, displacement of 3016cc.
• David Brown 1200: 4-cylinder diesel engine, 77 horsepower, displacement of 3922cc.
• David Brown 3800: 6-cylinder diesel engine, 83 horsepower, displacement of 5247cc.
• David Brown 4600: 6-cylinder diesel engine, 75 horsepower, displacement of 5789cc.
• Compression ratio varies between 15:1 to 16:1 for different models.
• Cooling system: Liquid-cooled with an efficient radiator.
• Fuel tank capacity ranges from 18 gallons to 24 gallons depending on the model.
• Transmission: 8 forward and 2 reverse gears with synchromesh feature on some models.
• Power Steering: Available on some models to enhance maneuverability.
• Hydraulic System: Dual hydraulic pumps with a lifting capacity of up to 3 tons.
• PTO (Power Take-Off): Independent PTO with two speeds (540 and 1000 rpm).
• Maximum speed ranges from 14 mph to 20 mph, depending on the model.
Facts and Details:
- The David Brown 880 was one of the most popular models, known for its reliability and versatility.
- The 1200 model featured an innovative hydraulic control system, providing precise control over implements.
- David Brown tractors were manufactured in the UK by David Brown Tractors Limited.
- The 990 Selectamatic introduced a unique hydraulic system that allowed the operator to control implement depth effortlessly.
- The 3800 and 4600 models were designed for heavy-duty agricultural tasks, making them suitable for larger farms.
- Many David Brown tractors from this era are still cherished by collectors and vintage tractor enthusiasts.
- The company's reputation for durability and build quality made David Brown tractors a popular choice worldwide.
- David Brown tractors often featured comfortable and ergonomic operator cabins for extended work hours.
- The tractors were praised for their ease of maintenance, which contributed to their longevity.
- The 770 model was considered a dependable workhorse, ideal for small to medium-sized farms.
Maintenance Intervals, General Maintenance Tips, and Common Issues:
► Oil Change: Replace engine oil every 100-150 hours of operation, and check oil levels regularly.
► Air Filter: Clean or replace the air filter every 50-100 hours to ensure proper airflow to the engine.
► Coolant System: Check coolant levels and inspect the radiator for debris or leaks every 200 hours.
► Tire Maintenance: Inspect tire pressure and tread wear regularly, especially before heavy workloads.
► Hydraulic System: Change hydraulic oil and filter every 500 hours to maintain optimal performance.
► Brake Inspection: Regularly inspect brake pads and ensure the braking system is functioning correctly.
► Electrical System: Check battery and wiring connections periodically to avoid electrical issues.
► Clutch Adjustment: Adjust the clutch if it starts to slip, affecting power transmission.
► Steering Components: Lubricate steering components to ensure smooth and precise steering control.
► Common Issues: Fuel injector clogging, hydraulic leaks, and worn-out clutch plates are common issues that may arise with age.
Five Tips for Effective Maintenance:
1. Follow the Manual: Adhere to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule outlined in the manual for timely servicing.
2. Cleanliness Matters: Keep your tractor clean from dirt and debris, as they can accelerate wear and tear.
3. Use Quality Parts: Always use genuine David Brown parts to ensure compatibility and durability.
4. Store Properly: When not in use, store the tractor in a dry and covered area to protect it from the elements.
5. Listen to Your Tractor: Pay attention to any unusual noises or performance changes and address them promptly.
Popular Tuning Tips and Modifications:
■ Upgrading the air intake and exhaust system for improved engine performance.
■ Installing a power chip or remapping the engine for increased horsepower.
■ Adding a turbocharger or supercharger to boost engine efficiency.
■ Upgrading the hydraulic system for better implement control and lifting capacity.
■ Swapping to modern LED lighting for improved visibility during nighttime operations.
Accessories and Attachments:
+ Front-end loaders for easy material handling.
+ Backhoes for digging and excavation tasks.
+ Rotary tillers for efficient soil preparation.
+ Bale spears and forks for hay and silage handling.
+ Mowers and slashers for grass cutting and land maintenance.
+ Plows and harrows for primary tillage and seedbed preparation.
+ Seed spreaders for efficient seeding operations.
+ Post hole diggers for quick and precise fence post installation.
+ Cultivators and cultivator teeth for weed control and soil aeration.
+ Snowblades and snow blowers for snow removal.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
♦ The David Brown 990 is a dependable tractor that never disappoints. It has ample power and is fuel-efficient, making it perfect for everyday use.
♦ I love my David Brown 1200! The hydraulic system is fantastic, and the cabin is comfortable during long hours of work.
♦ The 770 model may be small, but it's a true workhorse. It's easy to maintain and great for small-scale farming.
♦ The 3800 is a beast! It handles heavy-duty tasks effortlessly, and I'm impressed with its pulling power.
♦ The 780 is a reliable tractor, but finding spare parts can be a bit challenging.
The original David Brown Tractors Parts Catalog and Manual is a valuable resource for any David Brown tractor owner or enthusiast. With comprehensive engine specifications, maintenance tips, and common issue solutions, this guide will help you keep your tractor running at its best. By following the maintenance tips and utilizing popular tuning options, you can optimize your tractor's performance and efficiency. Additionally, a wide range of compatible accessories and attachments allows you to adapt your David Brown tractor for various tasks. Remember to check owner reviews for insights into the strengths and weaknesses of different models.
Click on the PayPal button to download the detailed shop manual and repair guide in PDF format and keep your David Brown tractor in top-notch condition!
To gain access to the OEM David Brown parts list and shop handbook, simply complete the PayPal payment, and the download link will be provided on the checkout page, along with an immediate payment confirmation email.