The following models are included in this manual: NS400R, NS400 / Honda
Honda NS400R (1985)
Honda NS400R (1986)
Honda NS400R (1987)
Honda NS400R (1988)
Honda NS400 (1985)
Honda NS400 (1986)
Honda NS400 (1987)
Honda NS400 (1988)
Production year(s): 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988
Manual Language: English
"Download the Manual for the Two-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled Sport Bike - Honda NS400R, NS400"
Discover the power and precision of the legendary Honda NS400R and NS400, a remarkable two-stroke, liquid-cooled sport bike that dominated the motorcycle scene between 1985 and 1988. This iconic machine offers a thrilling riding experience with its cutting-edge technology and exhilarating performance. To ensure you make the most of your NS400R or NS400, we provide you with a comprehensive manual available for download. Unlock the secrets and unleash the full potential of these remarkable motorcycles.
Engine Specs/Technical Specifications:
• Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, two-stroke, three-cylinder
• Displacement: 387cc
• Bore x Stroke: 57mm x 50.6mm
• Compression Ratio: 6.8:1
• Carburetion: Three 26mm Keihin carburetors
• Ignition: CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)
• Power Output: 72 hp at 9,500 rpm
• Torque: 41 lb-ft at 8,500 rpm
• Transmission: Six-speed, constant mesh
• Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
• Primary Drive: Gear
• Final Drive: Chain
• Frame: Twin-spar aluminum
• Suspension: Front - Telescopic fork, Rear - Pro-Link monoshock
• Brakes: Front - Dual discs, Rear - Single disc
• Tires: Front - 100/90-16, Rear - 120/80-18
• Wheelbase: 1,395mm
• Seat Height: 785mm
• Dry Weight: 163kg
• Fuel Capacity: 19 liters
Facts and Details:
- The NS400R was developed to meet the regulations of the era, featuring a 400cc limit for the Japanese market.
- It was the first production motorcycle to utilize Honda's innovative Power Valve System (YPVS).
- The NS400R was heavily influenced by Honda's Grand Prix racing machine, the NS500.
- It featured a unique 180-degree crankshaft that helped replicate the firing order of a V-twin engine, providing smooth power delivery.
- The NS400R's distinctive asymmetrical headlights were a nod to its racing pedigree.
- It had a sophisticated aluminum twin-spar frame, contributing to its excellent handling characteristics.
- The bike's aggressive styling included a single-sided swingarm, giving it a futuristic and sporty appearance.
- The NS400R was equipped with an adjustable suspension system to fine-tune the bike's handling based on rider preferences.
- It had a power-to-weight ratio that outperformed many of its competitors, allowing for impressive acceleration.
- The NS400R featured a unique "gull-arm" rear swingarm design, improving stability during hard cornering.
- Despite its small displacement, the NS400R was capable of reaching a top speed of around 135 mph (217 km/h).
- The bike was only available in select markets, making it a sought-after collector's item today.
Maintenance Intervals and General Maintenance Tips:
* Regularly change the two-stroke oil and ensure proper mixing ratios according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
* Clean and oil the air filter regularly to maintain optimal engine performance.
* Check and adjust the carburetor settings periodically for smooth operation.
* Inspect the spark plugs and replace them as necessary for consistent ignition.
* Lubricate the throttle and clutch cables to prevent stiffness and ensure responsive controls.
* Maintain proper tire pressure and check the tire condition regularly for safe and efficient riding.
* Perform regular chain maintenance, including cleaning, lubrication, and tension adjustment.
* Check all fluid levels, including coolant and brake fluid, and replace or top up as needed.
* Inspect the brakes regularly and replace worn brake pads to ensure optimal stopping power.
* Keep the bike clean and protect it from corrosion by using appropriate cleaning products and applying a protective wax or sealant.
Common Issues and Solutions:
+ Fouled spark plugs can result from incorrect carburetor tuning or excessive oil in the fuel mixture. Clean or replace the spark plugs and adjust the carburetors accordingly.
+ Excessive smoke during startup or riding may indicate an oil pump malfunction or incorrect oil injection adjustment. Inspect the oil pump system and adjust or repair as necessary.
+ Poor throttle response or hesitation can be caused by clogged carburetor jets or an improperly adjusted fuel-air mixture. Clean or replace the affected parts and adjust the carburetors.
+ Sticking or dragging clutch may require a clutch cable adjustment or replacement of worn clutch plates.
Check the power valve system regularly for proper operation and clean or repair any components as needed.
+ Electrical issues such as faulty wiring connections or a weak battery can cause starting or charging problems. Inspect the electrical system and repair or replace faulty components.
+ Ensure proper cooling system maintenance to avoid overheating issues. Clean the radiator, check coolant levels, and inspect hoses and connections for leaks or damage.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
Upgrading to aftermarket expansion chambers can enhance the bike's performance and provide a distinctive two-stroke sound.
Installing high-performance air filters and rejetting the carburetors can improve throttle response and overall engine performance.
Upgrading the suspension components with aftermarket options can enhance the bike's handling and adjustability.
Replacing the stock exhaust system with a lightweight and performance-oriented aftermarket alternative can reduce weight and increase power.
Installing a programmable electronic ignition system can offer better control over the ignition timing and optimize engine performance.
Available Accessories and Aftermarket Options:
■ Sporty aftermarket exhaust systems
■ Performance air filters and intake systems
■ Adjustable rearsets for enhanced riding ergonomics
■ Upgraded suspension components and rear shocks
■ Stylish fairings and bodywork options
■ High-quality brake pads and stainless steel brake lines
■ Custom seat covers and cushions
■ Frame sliders for added protection
■ Tinted windshields and wind deflectors
■ LED lighting kits for improved visibility
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
The NS400R offers an exhilarating riding experience with its potent two-stroke engine and agile handling.
The bike's unique styling and race-inspired design make it a head-turner wherever it goes.
Owners appreciate the excellent build quality and durability of the NS400R.
The power-to-weight ratio provides impressive acceleration and a thrilling ride.
Some owners mention that finding genuine spare parts for the NS400R can be challenging due to its limited production and age.
The bike's two-stroke engine requires more frequent maintenance compared to four-stroke motorcycles.
The NS400R's suspension may need fine-tuning to match individual rider preferences.
Due to its high-performance nature, the NS400R can be demanding to ride for beginners or riders accustomed to less powerful motorcycles.
Frequently Needed Repairs:
► Carburetor cleaning and tuning
► Spark plug replacement
► Clutch cable adjustments or replacements
► Power valve system maintenance
► Cooling system repairs or maintenance
► Electrical system troubleshooting and repairs
► Chain and sprocket replacements
► Brake pad replacements and brake system maintenance
Click the green button to purchase and download the comprehensive shop handbook for your Honda NS400R or NS400 in PDF format through PayPal. Access the detailed shop handbook for your Honda NS400R or NS400 by clicking the green button, and conveniently download the comprehensive PDF manual from RepairLoader's website using PayPal.
Once the payment is completed, your official Honda OEM shop manual/parts list download link will be provided on the checkout page. Additionally, we will promptly email you the payment and download information, ensuring you can access the valuable resources without delay.
Price: 18.99 USD