The following models are encompassed by this manual: Cherokee / Jeep (Stellantis)
Jeep Cherokee Sport
Jeep Cherokee Classic
Jeep Cherokee Limited
Production year(s): 1999
Manual Language: English
Instant delivery/download: Your download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
Printable: Yes (with all printers)
"Download the Comprehensive SUV Repair Manual: Unlock the Secrets of the 1999 Jeep Cherokee"
Embark on a journey of SUV repairs with the ultimate manual for the 1999 Jeep Cherokee. Whether you're a seasoned mechanic or a passionate DIY enthusiast, this comprehensive handbook is your key to mastering maintenance and repairs for this iconic vehicle. From engine specs to common issues and tuning tips, we've got you covered. Get ready to elevate your Jeep Cherokee's performance and keep it running smoothly with this invaluable resource!
Engine Specs/Technical Specifications:
• The 1999 Jeep Cherokee offers a range of engine options, including:
• 2.5-liter inline-4 engine with 120 horsepower and 140 lb-ft of torque.
• 4.0-liter inline-6 engine with 190 horsepower and 225 lb-ft of torque.
• The Cherokee comes standard with a five-speed manual transmission.
• An optional four-speed automatic transmission is available for convenience.
• It features rear-wheel drive as standard, with four-wheel drive as an option.
• The towing capacity of the 1999 Jeep Cherokee ranges from 2,000 to 5,000 pounds, depending on the engine and configuration.
• The SUV has a maximum payload capacity of up to 1,000 pounds.
• The Cherokee offers various trim levels, including Sport, Classic, and Limited.
• It features a unibody construction for improved rigidity and durability.
• The SUV has a turning circle diameter of approximately 35 feet, ensuring maneuverability.
• Fuel efficiency varies depending on the engine and configuration, ranging from approximately 15 to 21 miles per gallon.
• The 1999 Jeep Cherokee is equipped with power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering for precise handling.
• It features front disc brakes and rear drum brakes, providing reliable stopping power.
• The Cherokee's fuel tank has a capacity of approximately 20 gallons.
• The SUV offers seating for up to five occupants with the available front bench seat.
• It has a ground clearance of approximately 7.9 inches, suitable for light off-roading.
• The Cherokee has a wheelbase measuring 101.4 inches, providing stability and a smooth ride.
• It has an overall length of approximately 165 inches, making it a compact SUV.
• The Cherokee's width measures around 67.7 inches, ensuring maneuverability in tight spaces.
• The SUV's height ranges from approximately 63 to 65 inches, depending on the configuration.
• The 1999 Jeep Cherokee offers a range of available options, including a tow package, roof rack, and upgraded audio system.
Facts and Details:
- The 1999 Jeep Cherokee was highly regarded for its off-road capabilities, making it a favorite among adventure enthusiasts.
- It featured a classic and boxy design, representing its rugged and utilitarian nature.
- The Cherokee boasted a spacious and versatile interior, with ample cargo space and convenient storage compartments.
- Jeep offered the Cherokee in both two-door and four-door configurations to cater to different needs.
- The SUV's robust construction and solid front and rear axles made it capable of tackling challenging terrains.
- The 1999 Cherokee introduced the Quadra-Coil suspension system, providing excellent articulation and off-road performance.
- It offered various trim levels and packages, allowing owners to choose between a more basic or a more luxurious setup.
- The Cherokee's 4.0-liter inline-6 engine was highly regarded for its reliability and low-end torque.
- Jeep introduced the Cherokee's optional Selec-Trac four-wheel drive system, allowing drivers to switch between two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive modes on the fly.
- The Cherokee offered a comfortable ride on both paved roads and off-road trails, thanks to its suspension tuning.
- Jeep equipped the Cherokee with a range of safety features, including dual front airbags and available antilock brakes.
- The SUV had a reputation for its long-lasting durability, with many owners reporting high mileage and minimal mechanical issues.
Oil and filter change: Every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or every 3 to 6 months (whichever comes first).
Air filter replacement: Every 15,000 to 30,000 miles or as needed.
Spark plug replacement: Every 30,000 to 45,000 miles or as recommended by the manufacturer.
Coolant flush and refill: Every 30,000 to 50,000 miles or every 3 to 5 years.
Timing belt replacement (if equipped): Every 90,000 to 105,000 miles or every 7 to 10 years.
General Maintenance Tips:
Regularly check and maintain proper tire pressure for optimal performance, fuel efficiency, and tire longevity.
Inspect and replace worn-out brake pads and rotors to ensure reliable braking performance.
Follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule for servicing and inspections.
Keep the SUV's exterior and interior clean to prevent dirt and grime buildup.
Monitor fluid levels regularly, including engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid.
Common Issues and Solutions:
Cooling system leaks: Some owners reported coolant leaks, which could lead to overheating. Regularly inspect hoses, radiator, and water pump for leaks. Repair or replace components as necessary.
Electrical system malfunctions: The Cherokee may experience electrical issues, such as faulty wiring or intermittent power window operation. Check fuses, connections, and consult a professional for further diagnosis and repair if needed.
Transmission problems: Some owners reported issues with the automatic transmission, including rough shifting or slipping. Regularly change transmission fluid and perform maintenance as recommended. Consult a professional for diagnosis and repair if needed.
Suspension component wear: Due to the SUV's off-road capabilities, suspension components may wear over time. Regularly inspect and replace worn-out components to maintain ride quality and handling. Consult a professional for diagnosis and repair if needed.
Rust and corrosion: The Cherokee's body may be susceptible to rust and corrosion, particularly in regions with harsh winters or high humidity. Regularly inspect the vehicle's underbody and address any rust or corrosion promptly. Consider rustproofing treatments for prevention.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
Installing a lift kit can provide increased ground clearance and accommodate larger tires for enhanced off-road capability.
Upgrading to aftermarket wheels and tires can improve the Cherokee's appearance and off-road performance.
Adding a cold air intake system can improve engine airflow and potentially increase horsepower.
Upgrading the exhaust system to a less restrictive aftermarket option can enhance engine sound and performance.
Installing auxiliary lighting options, such as light bars or off-road lights, can improve visibility during off-road adventures.
Available Accessories and Aftermarket Options:
Roof racks and cargo carriers.
Tow hitches and trailer wiring harnesses.
Floor mats and seat covers.
Skid plates and rock sliders for added protection during off-road excursions.
Upgraded audio systems, including speakers and head units.
Winches and recovery equipment for off-road recovery situations.
LED lighting upgrades for improved visibility.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
Excellent off-road capabilities.
Durable and reliable engine.
Versatile and spacious interior.
Classic and timeless design.
Limited fuel efficiency compared to smaller SUVs.
Some owners reported issues with electrical components.
Road noise may be more pronounced compared to modern SUVs.
Limited advanced safety features compared to newer vehicles.
Repairs Needing Frequent Attention:
- Cooling system repairs, including radiator and water pump replacements.
- Electrical system repairs for various electrical issues.
- Transmission repairs or replacements for automatic transmission models.
- Suspension component replacements, particularly in off-road use scenarios.
- Rust and corrosion repair, particularly in regions with harsh climates.
Click the green button to initiate the download of your detailed PDF repair manual for the Jeep Cherokee SUV. Purchase it securely from the RepairLoader marketplace using PayPal.
After completing your PayPal payment, the official Jeep OEM shop manual/parts list download link will be available on the checkout page. Additionally, we will immediately email you all the necessary payment and download information.
Price: 18.99 USD