John Deere Sabre 1438GS, 1438HS, 1438G, 1538HS, 1542HS, 1542G, 1542H, 15.538G, 15.538H, 15.542G, 15.542H, 1642G, 1642H, 1642HS, 1642HV, 1646H, 1646HS, 1646HV, 1742GS, 1742HS lawn tractor manual
To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
The manual is valid for the following models: John Deere Sabre, built in Greeneville, Tennessee, USA
John Deere Sabre 1438GS
John Deere Sabre 1438HS
John Deere Sabre 1438G
John Deere Sabre 1538HS
John Deere Sabre 1542HS
John Deere Sabre 1542G
John Deere Sabre 1542H
John Deere Sabre 15.538G
John Deere Sabre 15.538H
John Deere Sabre 15.542G
John Deere Sabre 15.542H
John Deere Sabre 1642G
John Deere Sabre 1642H
John Deere Sabre 1642HS
John Deere Sabre 1642HV
John Deere Sabre 1646H
John Deere Sabre 1646HS
John Deere Sabre 1646HV
John Deere Sabre 1742GS
John Deere Sabre 1742HS
Engine 1438GS details: Briggs & Stratton 28N707, gasoline, 1-cylinder, air-cooled, vertical-shaft, 465 cc, 28.4 ci, 3.44x3.06 inches, 87 x 78 mm, 14.5 hp, 10.8 kW, Idle RPM 1750-3300.
Engine 1438HS: Briggs & Stratton Intek, ..., see above...
Engine 1438G: Briggs & Stratton 28N707, see above.
Engine 1538HS: Briggs & Stratton 28N707, see above.15 hp, 11.2 kW.
Engine 1542HS: see above.
Engine 1542G: see above.
Engine 1542H: see above.
Engine 15.538G: see manual
Engine 15.538H: see manual
Engine 15.542G: see above.
Engine 15.542H: see above
Engine 1642G: Briggs & Stratton 28Q707, see above,... ,16 hp, 11.9 kW.
Engine 1642H: see above.
Engine 1642HS: see above.
Engine 1642HV: see above.
Engine 1646H: see above
Engine 1646HS: see above
Engine 1646HV: see above
Engine 1742GS: Briggs & Stratton Intek, ..., see above, ..., 17 hp, 12.7 kW
Engine 1742HS: see above
Publication number: TM1769
Starter volts: 12
Production year(s): 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002.
Language: English (some of our manuals are multilingual)
Delivery: Download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
"Download the Complete Manual for Your John Deere Sabre Lawn Tractor and Master Your Mowing Game"
Take control of your lawn care with the John Deere Sabre series of lawn tractors. These versatile and reliable machines offer exceptional performance and cutting capabilities. To help you make the most of your mowing experience, we have compiled a comprehensive manual packed with engine specifications, maintenance tips, tuning options, and more. Whether you're a seasoned landscaper or a homeowner looking to maintain a beautiful lawn, this manual will be your go-to resource for all things related to the John Deere Sabre lawn tractors.
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• Engine Type: Air-cooled, single-cylinder
• Engine Displacement: Varies by model (e.g., 14 hp, 15 hp, 16 hp, 17 hp)
• Fuel Type: Gasoline
• Transmission: Hydrostatic or Gear drive
• Cutting Width: Varies by model (e.g., 38 inches, 42 inches, 46 inches, 48 inches)
• Fuel Capacity: Varies by model (e.g., 2.5 gallons, 3 gallons)
• Oil Capacity: Varies by model (e.g., 2 quarts, 2.5 quarts)
• Tire Size (Front): Varies by model (e.g., 15x6-6, 15x6.00-6)
• Tire Size (Rear): Varies by model (e.g., 20x10-8, 22x9.50-12)
• Cutting Height Range: Varies by model (e.g., 1.5 inches to 4 inches)
• Deck Lift: Manual or Hydraulic
• Blade Engagement: Manual or Electric
• Steering: Manual or Power-assisted
• Maximum Forward Speed: Varies by model (e.g., 5.5 mph, 7 mph)
• Maximum Reverse Speed: Varies by model (e.g., 2.5 mph, 3.5 mph)
• Battery: 12-volt, starting battery
• Charging System: Alternator
• Dimensions (L x W x H): Varies by model
• Weight: Varies by model
• Recommended Oil: John Deere Turf-Gard Oil or equivalent
Facts and Details:
- The Sabre series of lawn tractors was manufactured by John Deere from 1999 to 2002.
- These tractors were designed for residential use and offered a range of cutting widths and engine options.
- The Sabre tractors featured durable construction and user-friendly controls for easy operation.
- Some models in the Sabre series offered hydrostatic transmission for smoother speed control.
- The cutting decks on these tractors were made of stamped steel for superior durability.
- The Sabre tractors offered comfortable seating and ergonomically designed controls for reduced operator fatigue.
- John Deere's reputation for quality and reliability extended to the Sabre series, ensuring long-lasting performance.
- These tractors were designed to provide excellent maneuverability, making them suitable for lawns of varying sizes.
Maintenance Intervals, General Tips, and Common Issues for John Deere Sabre Lawn Tractors:
► Regularly change the engine oil and replace the oil filter as recommended in the manual.
► Clean or replace the air filter regularly to ensure proper engine performance.
► Check and adjust the tire pressure to the recommended levels for optimal traction and stability.
► Inspect the cutting blades for wear and sharpen or replace them as needed.
► Lubricate all grease fittings, including the mower deck spindles and pivot points, according to the recommended intervals.
► Keep the battery charged and clean the terminals regularly to prevent starting issues.
► Check the fuel system for any leaks or blockages and ensure the fuel is fresh.
► Common issues may include starter motor problems, drive belt wear, and electrical system failures. Consult the manual or a qualified technician for specific troubleshooting steps.
Popular Tuning Tips and Modifications:
* Install a mulching kit to finely chop grass clippings and promote a healthier lawn.
* Upgrade the cutting blades to high-lift or gator-style blades for improved bagging or mulching performance.
* Add a bagger attachment to collect grass clippings for a clean and manicured look.
* Consider installing wheel weights or tire chains for increased traction when mowing on hilly or uneven terrain.
* Upgrade the seat for added comfort during long mowing sessions.
* Install LED lights for improved visibility when mowing in low-light conditions.
Available Accessories, Attachments, and Aftermarket Options:
■ Baggers and collection systems
■ Mulching kits
■ Snow blades and blowers
■ Front-end loaders
■ Sun shades and weather enclosures
■ Hitch attachments for towing trailers or carts
■ Additional lighting options
■ Fertilizer spreaders and sprayers
■ Utility carts and dump carts
■ Rear-mounted spreaders and aerators
Owner Reviews and Opinions on the Strengths and Weaknesses:
☺ Strengths: Reliable performance, durable construction, easy maneuverability, wide range of available attachments and accessories, user-friendly controls.
☻ Weaknesses: Limited availability of certain parts, lack of advanced features found in newer models, occasional transmission issues in some older models.
Repairs that Need to be Carried Out Most Frequently and Parts that Often Break:
→ Drive belt replacement.
→ Blade replacement or sharpening.
→ Starter motor repairs or replacement.
→ Battery replacement.
→ Steering component repairs or adjustments.
→ Fuel system maintenance (cleaning or replacing the fuel filter, cleaning the carburetor).
→ Electrical system troubleshooting and repairs.
→ Spindle or deck repairs due to wear or damage.
→ Tire replacement or puncture repairs.
→ Ignition switch replacement.
→ Hydrostatic transmission maintenance or repairs.
Get instant access to the detailed John Deere Sabre service manual in PDF format by clicking the green button below. Once your payment is complete, the checkout page will display the download link for the official John Deere Sabre OEM shop manual and parts list. Additionally, we will immediately email you the payment and download information.