To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
This manual applies to the following models: VT500C Shadow
1983 Honda VT500C Shadow
1983 Honda VT500C Shadow Custom
1984 Honda VT500C Shadow
1984 Honda VT500C Shadow Custom
1985 Honda VT500C Shadow
1985 Honda VT500C Shadow Custom
1986 Honda VT500C Shadow
1986 Honda VT500C Shadow Custom
1987 Honda VT500C Shadow
1987 Honda VT500C Shadow Custom
Engine: 491 cc, 29.96 ci, V2, four-stroke, liquid cooled, 71.0 x 62.0 mm (2.8 x 2.4 inches), Overhead Cams (OHC), 10.5:1
Production/model years: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987
Manual Language: English
Instant delivery: Download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
"Get Ready to Cruise: Download the Manual for the 1983-1987 Honda VT500C Shadow Motorbike"
If you're a fan of cruiser motorbikes and seeking a thrilling ride, look no further than the 1983-1987 Honda VT500C Shadow. This iconic model from Honda's Shadow series combines classic styling with reliable performance. To ensure you have all the information, you can now download the comprehensive manual for this exceptional motorbike. From engine specifications to maintenance tips and tuning options, this manual will be your go-to resource for everything related to the Honda VT500C Shadow. Get ready to embark on an exciting journey with this powerful cruiser.
Engine specifications/technical data:
• The Honda VT500C Shadow features a liquid-cooled, four-stroke, 491cc V-twin engine.
• It has a bore and stroke of 74mm x 58mm.
• The engine utilizes a dual carburetor setup for optimal fuel delivery.
• The compression ratio of the VT500C Shadow is 10.5:1.
• It has a six-speed manual transmission for smooth gear shifting.
• The motorbike employs a chain final drive system.
• The ignition system consists of a transistorized electronic ignition.
• The VT500C Shadow's engine produces approximately 55 horsepower.
• It has a maximum torque output of around 34 lb-ft.
• The motorbike is equipped with an electric starter.
• The fuel system incorporates a pair of 34 mm Keihin carburetors.
• It features a single overhead camshaft (SOHC) configuration.
• The VT500C Shadow has a wet sump lubrication system.
• It utilizes a hydraulic valve adjustment mechanism.
• The motorbike has a dual exhaust system for enhanced performance and sound.
• It features a 12-volt electrical system with a maintenance-free battery.
• The front suspension consists of telescopic forks with air assistance.
• The rear suspension utilizes dual shock absorbers with adjustable preload.
• The VT500C Shadow has a disc brake setup at the front and a drum brake at the rear.
• It has a wheelbase of approximately 61 inches.
• The motorbike's fuel tank has a capacity of around 2.9 gallons.
• It has a dry weight of approximately 458 pounds.
• The VT500C Shadow features a comfortable seating position with mid-mounted foot controls.
• It comes with a 12-volt, 60/55-watt halogen headlight for improved visibility.
• The motorbike has a maximum speed of around 105 mph.
Facts and Details about the 1983-1987 Honda VT500C Shadow:
- The VT500C Shadow was introduced in 1983 as part of Honda's Shadow series.
- It was available in multiple variants, including the VT500C, VT500C Shadow Custom, and VT500C Shadow V-Twin.
- The motorbike featured a low-slung cruiser design with a long, flowing profile.
- It gained popularity for its balance of performance, comfort, and reliability.
- The VT500C Shadow was known for its smooth power delivery and excellent handling.
- It offered riders a comfortable riding position for long-distance journeys.
- The model received positive reviews for its attractive styling and chrome accents.
- It was praised for its low seat height, making it accessible to a wide range of riders.
- The VT500C Shadow had a loyal following among motorcycle enthusiasts.
- It was renowned for its durability and longevity, with many examples still on the road today.
- The motorbike's classic design elements made it a favorite among customization enthusiasts.
- The VT500C Shadow was often praised for its fuel efficiency.
- It featured a well-balanced suspension setup, providing a smooth and stable ride.
- The model offered ample storage space with its spacious saddlebags.
Maintenance intervals, general maintenance tips, and common issues/solutions:
► Regular maintenance intervals for the VT500C Shadow include oil changes every 3,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first.
► The engine oil should be checked and topped up as needed.
► The air filter should be inspected and cleaned or replaced regularly to ensure proper airflow.
► Spark plugs should be replaced every 8,000-12,000 miles to maintain optimal engine performance.
► The valve clearance should be checked and adjusted every 8,000-12,000 miles.
► It is recommended to inspect and adjust the drive chain tension regularly.
► Brake fluid should be flushed and replaced every two years to maintain braking performance.
► Common issues with the VT500C Shadow may include carburetor problems, such as clogged jets or fuel leaks. These can be addressed by cleaning the carburetors or replacing faulty components.
► Electrical issues, such as faulty wiring or charging system problems, may occur. Thoroughly inspect the wiring harness and connectors, and ensure the battery is in good condition.
► Some owners have reported issues with the starter motor. These can often be resolved by cleaning or replacing the starter motor assembly.
► Regularly inspect the tires for wear and ensure they are properly inflated for optimal performance and safety.
► The cooling system should be checked for leaks and coolant levels regularly.
► It is recommended to use genuine Honda parts and fluids for optimal performance and longevity.
Popular tuning tips or modifications:
* Upgrading the exhaust system to a high-performance aftermarket option can enhance both the sound and performance of the VT500C Shadow.
* Installing a jet kit and adjusting the carburetors can optimize fuel delivery and improve throttle response.
* Upgrading the air filter to a high-flow aftermarket option can increase airflow and potentially improve engine performance.
* Some owners opt for custom handlebars to achieve a more personalized riding position.
* Adding a windshield or fairing can provide improved wind protection during long rides.
* Upgrading the suspension components, such as rear shock absorbers, can enhance ride comfort and handling.
* Installing LED lighting can improve visibility and give the motorbike a modern touch.
* Customizing the paintwork or adding chrome accessories can give the VT500C Shadow a unique look.
Accessories and attachments:
■ Saddlebags and luggage racks for increased storage capacity.
■ Windshields and fairings for wind protection.
■ Backrests and passenger seats for added comfort.
■ Engine guards and highway bars for protection.
■ Custom handlebars and grips for personalized riding position.
■ LED lighting kits for improved visibility.
■ Upgraded suspension components, such as rear shocks.
■ Performance exhaust systems for enhanced sound and power.
■ Jet kits and carburetor tuning components.
■ High-flow air filters for improved airflow.
■ Custom paintwork and chrome accessories for a unique look.
■ GPS navigation systems and phone mounts for convenience.
■ Audio systems and speakers for entertainment on the road.
■ Security systems and alarms for theft prevention.
Owner reviews and opinions about the strengths and weaknesses:
☺ Comfortable riding position for long distances
☺ Smooth power delivery
☺ Classic and attractive design
☺ Good fuel efficiency
☺ Reliable and durable
☺ Accessible seat height
☺ Ample storage space with saddlebags
☻ Carburetor issues in some cases
☻ Potential electrical problems
☻ Starter motor reliability concerns
Repairs that need to be carried out most frequently:
→ Carburetor cleaning or rebuilding.
→ Starter motor maintenance or replacement.
→ Electrical system troubleshooting and repairs.
→ Brake system maintenance, including pad replacement and fluid changes.
→ Regular oil and filter changes.
→ Chain adjustment and lubrication.
→ Valve clearance checks and adjustments.
→ Spark plug replacement.
→ Tire replacement and balancing.
→ Cooling system maintenance, including coolant flushes and hose inspections.
→ Fork seal replacement.
→ Drive belt replacement (for belt-drive variants).
→ Clutch adjustment or replacement.
Access the comprehensive shop handbook for the Honda VT500C Shadow in PDF format by clicking on the green button below. Upon payment, you will receive an instant payment confirmation via email, and your download link for the official Honda OEM shop manual and parts list will be available on the checkout page.