To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
Model specifics / brand: XN 85 Turbo / Suzuki Motor Corporation
1983 Suzuki XN 85 Turbo
Engine specs: 673cc, 4-stroke, Inline-four, Turbo charged, Mikuni-Bosch L-Jetronic injection system.
Production/model years: 1983
Manual Language: English
"Fix Your Suzuki's Issues Today: Comprehensive Manual Available for Download"
Dive into the world of classic motorbikes with our deep-dive on the legendary 1983 Suzuki XN 85 Turbo. As one of the first production turbocharged motorcycles, the XN 85 Turbo was a groundbreaking model in its day and remains a coveted collector's item. Whether you're a passionate owner or an aspiring enthusiast, our comprehensive manual can help you navigate through any technical or mechanical issues that might arise. Learn more about this incredible machine and how to keep it in excellent condition.
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• The 1983 Suzuki XN 85 Turbo is powered by a turbocharged, four-stroke inline-four engine.
• It boasts a displacement of 673 cc.
• The engine has a bore and stroke of 61.0 x 53.8 mm.
• Its compression ratio is 7.9:1.
• The engine is cooled by a liquid-cooling system.
• The power output stands at 85 hp (62 kW) @ 8000 rpm.
• The torque produced is 73.8 Nm @ 6500 rpm.
• It features a Mikuni BDS36SS carburetor system.
• The bike is equipped with a 5-speed gearbox.
• It comes with an electric starter.
• The dry weight of the bike is 218 kg.
• The bike's dimensions are 2170 mm in length, 720 mm in width, and 1185 mm in height.
• The wheelbase measures 1470 mm.
• It has a ground clearance of 150 mm.
• The fuel tank capacity is 20 liters.
• The bike has a top speed of 210 km/h.
• It has a fuel consumption rate of 6.2 liters per 100 km.
• The bike runs on unleaded gasoline.
• It features a wet, multi-disc clutch system.
• The bike has a chain final drive.
• It features a tubular steel frame.
• The front suspension uses telescopic forks, while the rear uses a mono-shock absorber.
• The bike uses disc brakes in both the front and the rear.
• The front tire measures 110/90-16 and the rear tire measures 130/80-18.
• It features a dual seat and a sport-touring style fairing.
• The bike comes in a unique silver/blue color scheme.
• It is also characterized by its distinctive pop-up headlight.
• The bike includes a digital turbo boost gauge on its instrument panel.
• The XN 85 Turbo was the first production motorcycle to use 16" wheels in both the front and the rear.
• The bike was only produced for one year, with just over 1,100 units made globally.
• Despite its advanced features, the bike was less popular than anticipated due to its high price tag.
• However, it remains a highly sought-after model among motorcycle collectors today.
• The XN 85 Turbo represents a significant milestone in Suzuki's history, marking the brand's early foray into turbocharging technology.
• Despite its rarity, parts for the XN 85 Turbo can still be found, although some may be difficult to source.
• Given its historical significance, maintaining an XN 85 Turbo in excellent condition can increase its value considerably.
Facts and Details:
- The XN 85 Turbo was Suzuki's response to the 1980s trend of turbocharged motorcycles, following similar models from Honda and Kawasaki.
- Its name is derived from its horsepower rating: the "XN" stands for "experimental model," while the "85" refers to its 85 hp output.
- Despite its impressive power, the XN 85 Turbo was known for its manageable and user-friendly performance, compared to other turbocharged motorcycles of the time.
- The bike's handling was praised for its stability and precision, thanks to its innovative 16" wheels and well-tuned suspension.
- The XN 85 Turbo featured a distinctive cockpit-style instrument panel, including a digital turbo boost gauge.
- Its engine was a turbocharged version of the engine used in the Suzuki GS650.
- The XN 85 Turbo was the first motorcycle to use a "cooling by oil" system, which used engine oil to cool the turbocharger.
- Despite its technological innovations, the XN 85 Turbo was not a commercial success, due to its high price and the declining popularity of turbocharged motorcycles.
- The bike was only produced for one year, making it a rare and collectible model today.
Maintenance Intervals and General Tips:
► Oil and Filter: Change every 3,000 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first.
► Spark Plugs: Check every 6,000 miles and replace if necessary.
► Air Filter: Clean every 6,000 miles and replace every 18,000 miles.
► Brake Fluid: Replace every two years.
► Coolant: Replace every two years.
► Timing Belt: Replace every 15,000 miles.
► Tires: Check the pressure weekly and inspect for wear regularly.
Common Issues and Their Solutions:
* Turbo Lag: This is common in turbocharged bikes like the XN 85. A good practice is to allow the bike to warm up before riding it hard.
* Overheating: Make sure the coolant is replaced regularly and the radiator is clean and free of debris.
* Oil Leaks: Check for leaks regularly, especially around the turbocharger. These can be fixed by replacing the oil seals.
* Electrical Problems: These can be avoided by regularly checking the battery, wiring, and fuses.
* Difficulty Finding Parts: Because this model was only produced for one year, some parts may be hard to find. However, many parts are interchangeable with other Suzuki models from the same period.
Effective Maintenance Tips:
■ Always use high-quality engine oil suitable for turbocharged motorcycles, and change it regularly.
■ Let the bike warm up before riding it, especially in cold weather. This helps reduce turbo lag and prevent engine wear.
■ Regularly inspect the tires, brakes, and chain for wear. Replace them if necessary.
■ Keep the bike clean. Regular cleaning not only keeps the bike looking great, but it also allows you to spot potential problems early.
■ Store the bike properly. When not in use, keep it in a dry, covered area to prevent rust and corrosion.
Popular Tuning Tips/Modifications:
* Exhaust: Upgrading to a performance exhaust can help increase horsepower and torque.
* Air Filter: A high-flow air filter can improve the bike's performance.
* Suspension: Upgrading to modern suspension components can significantly improve the bike's handling.
* Brakes: Upgrading to modern brake components can provide better stopping power.
* Tires: High-performance tires can improve the bike's handling and grip.
Accessories and Attachments:
♦ Touring Windshield: For those who plan on long rides, a taller touring windshield can help improve comfort.
♦ Saddlebags: For storage and convenience during longer trips.
♦ Tank Bag: A convenient way to store items while riding.
♦ Crash Bars: To protect the bike in case of a fall.
♦ Performance Exhaust: For increased power and a sportier sound.
♦ High-Flow Air Filter: To improve engine performance.
♦ Aftermarket Suspension: For improved handling and comfort.
♦ Aftermarket Brakes: For better stopping power.
♦ Custom Seat: For improved comfort, especially on long rides.
♦ LED Lights: For improved visibility and a modern look.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
Many owners of the 1983 Suzuki XN 85 Turbo praise the bike for its unique character, powerful performance, and excellent handling. Its distinctive looks and rarity also add to its appeal. However, some owners note that finding parts can be challenging due to its limited production run. Some also mention that the bike can be expensive to maintain, especially if the turbocharger needs repair. Overall, the consensus among owners is that the XN 85 Turbo is a unique piece of motorcycle history that is worth preserving.
The 1983 Suzuki XN 85 Turbo is a unique and exciting chapter in the history of motorcycles. With its innovative turbocharging technology, powerful performance, and distinctive looks, it remains a coveted model among motorcycle collectors and enthusiasts. However, potential owners should be aware of its high maintenance costs and the difficulty of finding parts. With proper care and maintenance, however, the XN 85 Turbo can offer an unforgettable riding experience and a valuable addition to any motorcycle collection.
Most Frequently Carried Out Repairs and Parts That Often Break:
→ Turbocharger repairs: The turbocharger can be prone to problems due to its complexity.
→ Oil seal replacement: Oil leaks are common, especially around the turbocharger.
→ Electrical system repairs: Problems with the electrical system, including the battery, wiring, and fuses, can occur.
→ Exhaust system repairs: The exhaust system can wear out over time and may need replacement.
→ Cooling system repairs: The radiator and hoses can become worn and may need to be replaced.
→ Brake repairs: The brake pads, discs, and fluids may need to be replaced regularly.
→ Chain and sprocket replacement: These parts can wear out and may need to be replaced regularly.
→ Tire replacement: Tires can wear out and may need to be replaced regularly.
→ Suspension repairs: The shocks and forks can wear out and may need to be replaced.
→ Air filter replacement: The air filter can become clogged and may need to be replaced regularly.
→ Fuel system repairs: Problems with the carburetor or fuel pump can occur.
→ Clutch replacement: The clutch can wear out and may need to be replaced.
→ Engine gasket replacement: Oil leaks can occur from worn engine gaskets.
→ Cylinder head repairs: Overheating can cause damage to the cylinder head.
→ Gearbox repairs: Problems with the transmission can occur.
→ Battery replacement: The battery can wear out and may need to be replaced regularly.
Click the 'Buy Now' button to purchase your Suzuki manual in PDF format through PayPal; you'll be fixing up your bike in no time.
Once your payment is complete, the download link for the original Suzuki parts list and shop manual will be visible on the payment confirmation page. Additionally, we'll swiftly send a confirmation of your transaction to your email.