To make it easier for you to choose the right manual, we have compiled various information for you below, such as model designations, types, and production years.
The following models are encompassed by this manual: Sportsman 400 / Polaris
2001 Polaris Sportsman 400
2002 Polaris Sportsman 400
2003 Polaris Sportsman 400
2004 Polaris Sportsman 400
2005 Polaris Sportsman 400
Production year(s): 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
Manual Language: English
Printable: Yes (with all printers)
Instant delivery/download: Your download link will appear on the checkout page after your payment is complete.
"DIY ATV Repair Made Simple with Comprehensive PDF Guide"
Are you an owner of a 2001-2005 Polaris Sportsman 400 ATV? If so, you'll be delighted to discover a comprehensive and unique PDF guide that will empower you to take control of the maintenance and repair tasks for your ATV. This do-it-yourself resource combines detailed engine specifications, maintenance intervals, common issues and solutions, tuning tips, available accessories, and owner reviews to provide a complete understanding of the Polaris Sportsman 400. Say goodbye to expensive trips to the mechanic and embrace the satisfaction of maintaining and repairing your ATV on your own terms.
Engine Specifications/Technical Data:
• The Polaris Sportsman 400 is equipped with a 425cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine.
• Engine Type: Single-cylinder, overhead camshaft (OHC)
• Fuel System: Carbureted
• Ignition System: Electronic CDI ignition
• Transmission: Automatic with a dual-range gearbox
• Drive System: Selectable 2WD/4WD with a locking differential
• Suspension: Independent double-wishbone suspension on the front and rear
• Brakes: Hydraulic disc brakes for reliable stopping power
• Tire Size (Front): 24 x 8-12 inches
• Tire Size (Rear): 24 x 11-10 inches
• Wheelbase: Approximately 49 inches
• Ground Clearance: 11.25 inches
• Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gallons
• Dry Weight: Approximately 708 lbs
• Towing Capacity: Up to 1,225 lbs
• Cargo Capacity: Front and rear racks with a combined capacity of 90 lbs
Facts and Details:
- The Polaris Sportsman 400 is a versatile ATV designed for off-road adventures and utility purposes.
- It offers a balanced combination of power, agility, and durability, making it suitable for various terrains and tasks.
- The ATV features a selectable 2WD/4WD system, allowing the rider to switch between two-wheel and four-wheel drive modes depending on the terrain and conditions.
- It is equipped with independent double-wishbone suspension on both the front and rear, providing a smooth and comfortable ride even on rough surfaces.
- The Sportsman 400 features hydraulic disc brakes, delivering reliable stopping power for enhanced safety.
- With its powerful 425cc engine, the ATV offers sufficient power for both recreational and work-related activities.
- The dual-range gearbox allows the rider to choose between high and low gear ratios, providing versatility and control in different situations.
- The ATV has a generous ground clearance of 11.25 inches, allowing it to navigate through rough and uneven terrain with ease.
- It has a towing capacity of up to 1,225 lbs, making it capable of hauling trailers, equipment, and other items.
- The Sportsman 400 features front and rear racks for convenient storage and carrying capabilities.
- It offers a comfortable seating position and ergonomic controls for extended riding comfort.
- The ATV's robust construction and reliable components contribute to its longevity and durability.
- It is known for its ease of maintenance and accessibility of key components.
Maintenance Intervals, General Maintenance Tips, and Common Issues/Solutions:
► Oil Change: Recommended every 50 hours of operation or annually, whichever comes first.
► Air Filter: Clean or replace every 100 hours of operation or annually, whichever comes first.
► Spark Plug: Inspect and replace every 100 hours of operation or annually, whichever comes first.
► Belt Inspection: Check the drive belt for wear and tension every 500 miles.
► Tire Pressure: Regularly check and maintain the recommended tire pressure.
► Common Issues: Some common issues include carburetor problems, electrical system malfunctions, and drive belt wear.
► Solutions: Clean or rebuild the carburetor, troubleshoot and repair electrical system faults, and replace worn drive belts as necessary.
Popular Tuning Tips or Modifications:
* Install an aftermarket exhaust system for improved performance and a deeper sound.
* Upgrade the air intake system with a high-flow air filter for increased airflow to the engine.
* Install a fuel optimizer or EFI tuner to optimize fuel delivery and improve throttle response.
* Upgrade the suspension components for enhanced off-road performance and ride comfort.
* Install larger and more aggressive tires for improved traction and ground clearance.
Available Accessories and Aftermarket Options:
■ Winches and mounting kits for increased utility and off-road capabilities.
■ Snowplows and snow blade attachments for winter maintenance and snow clearing.
■ Cargo boxes and storage solutions for additional carrying capacity.
■ Skid plates and A-arm guards for enhanced undercarriage protection.
■ LED light bars and auxiliary lighting for improved visibility in low-light conditions.
Owner Reviews and Opinions:
☺ Powerful engine and impressive towing capacity for work-related tasks.
☺ Excellent off-road capabilities and versatility in various terrains.
☺ Comfortable ride and ergonomic design for extended trips.
☺ Relatively easy maintenance and access to key components.
☺ Solid build quality and durability.
☻ Some owners have reported occasional electrical system issues.
☻ Limited storage space compared to larger ATVs.
☻ The stock suspension may be too soft for more aggressive off-road riding.
Repairs that need to be carried out most frequently:
→ Carburetor cleaning and adjustment.
→ Drive belt replacement.
→ Spark plug replacement.
→ Brake pad replacement.
→ Electrical system troubleshooting.
→ Regular oil and filter changes.
Parts that often break:
→ Drive belts.
→ Spark plugs.
→ Brake pads.
→ A-arm bushings.
→ Ball joints.
To access the detailed shop handbook for your Polaris ATV, simply click the download button to initiate the PDF file download. Upon completing the payment, you will receive the download link for the official Polaris OEM shop manual and parts list on the checkout page. Additionally, we will promptly email you the payment and download information for immediate access.